Hardboard under Engineered Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just laid hardboard onto my floor boards in the dining room in preparation for the new Engineered Maple Floor.
I found the next day that the hardboard has gone quite bumpy between where it was nailed to the floor (with ringshanks), and I am wondering if this will be flattened sufficiently by the new engineered floor or if the bumps would cause any problems. Could I just put more nails in to hold down the bumps, will it expand further risking lifting the maple floor etc etc.

The engineered floor is a 15mm Natura floor that uses the locking system and no glue, so I’m thinking that it is quite hefty and should weigh down the bumps in the hardboard. However experience always wins and i am therefore wondering if anyone has done this before. (I have an underlay that was supplied with the new floor to go on top of the hardboard first.)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Have the hardboard sheet shad time to acclimatise in your room? did you leave some expansion gaps between the sheets?

Unfortunately not as it was a rush job (wife and daughter were out), and no there are no expansion gaps, all boards are butted up together. Silly when i think about it now i suppose.
Is it worth me lifting the harboard and relaying it with the expansion gaps, and how big gaps about 10mm?

I think it's worth it, the flatter your subfloor, the easier the installation of your wooden floor will go with a much better end result. It's all in the preparations!

We call it 'credit-card' gaps you should leave between the boards, if you can slide a card between it it's fine, so 3 - 4 mm.

Sponsored Links
OK great thanks for the info, looks like i might be pulling nails soon then.
Cheers !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back