Concrete floor, dig up and Insulate or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a cold kitchen, and want to improve it by insulate the walls. It has a concrete floor.

In order to add windows, and am considereing lowering the floor a litte to a previous level.

Thinking further, I could dig deeper and add insulation. Is it worth the extra effort, for the warming effect?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
It's quite a job lowering the floor, I did the entire ground floor of my house, binning a couple of old concrete floors.
It is a lot of shovel work!

Yes it's worth the effort, but even insulated floors may still feel cold if there is no heating on and your have ceramic tiles for example, granted the uninsulated floor floor will feel colder still.

How much are you considering lowering it?
You would need 100mm PIR lobbing in to make it efficient.

Have you got room to come up the floor? Perhaps an overlay UFH system may be better suited.

It's quite a job lowering the floor, I did the entire ground floor of my house, binning a couple of old concrete floors.
It is a lot of shovel work!

Yes it's worth the effort, but even insulated floors may still feel cold if there is no heating on and your have ceramic tiles for example, granted the uninsulated floor floor will feel colder still.

How much are you considering lowering it?
You would need 100mm PIR lobbing in to make it efficient.

Have you got room to come up the floor? Perhaps an overlay UFH system may be better suited.
Hi Mr C,
I can imagine, it's a lot of work, I may get someone else to do it.
The minimum lowering could be a couple of inches, or a little more.
I'm considering UFH, although this has more latency, and actually may cost more to run.
Thanks, I'll likely do it.
C

Sponsored Links
Hi,
To clarify #3.
Dig out 400mm ish then re-fill with concrete, insulation, etc, back to a couple of inches lower than now.

If I got a builder to carry this out can anyone give an estimate of the cost? The skip will be 25mtrs away, past the side of the house, to the front garden.
C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back