Concrete impressed driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be getting my driveway done in the spring but as a alterantive to block paving I have seen a driveway that has had concrete poured on and then impressed then sealed to give a look of block paving and it looked ok .......would anybody recommend it or stay clear of it? costs,it is cheaper or expensive than block paving? I know one good reason that there would be no joints that have to be replaced every couple of years but what are the drawbacks?

Sponsored Links
the lack of joints and a 'polished' finish does make it seem attractive. but i have yet to see one that hasn't cracked in the summertime, even with token expansion joints.

it is rather expensive too.

all the ones i have seen have cracked where they are not supposed to. virtually impossible to patch up as well.

Sponsored Links
I used to provide SE services for a company that does (or did) them. It can look ok, but only if it's done properly, ie: if it has joints where they need to be, if it's got a light anti-crack mesh near the top of the slab, if the sub-base is adequate for the ground conditions, if it was properly cured and protected whilst curing, if it's the correct concrete mix...

There are a lot of cowboy firms that do that stuff on a frachise basis (as was the case with the numpties who used me, before I distanced myself from them). Can work out more expensive than block paviors. Be wary.

Stay well clear if if does not crack it will fade in time !

Go for Block paving every time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back