Paving over concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to pave our driveway (either slabs or block paving). Currently it is concrete but badly cracked in places, and if possible, I don't want to remove it (cost / effort) and it is a stable base.
The drive runs between two house walls (ours and neighbours).
I will put a drainage channel along one wall and slope the surface towards it, but if I use blocks, will I have a problem with water getting through the gaps and not being able to soak away?
Mike

Sponsored Links
You'll need to use cement mix for the base not just sand, and deal with the increased height compared to adjacent ground and house DPC level

They are Victorian houses with 18" solid stone walls and no DPC, and the drainage channel will be below the airbricks. My concern is about water between and under the paving, or are you saying that a cement mix will prevent this being a problem?

Mike

Water would be a problem for a sand base, but not for a rigid base.

Sponsored Links
I've now done the drainage channels along the house wall, and would like to do this surface with Indian sandstone; it is too narrow to get a car down so is effectively a patio. However are Indian sandstone flags laid on a full mortar base over concrete ok for parking a car on?

TIA
Mike

Large flags will never be as good for a driveway as smaller units due to the risk of breaking if not bedded perfectly. If you lay them well on a good full bed of wet mortar 4:1 (grit sand: cement)

You should be able to get thicker units like 40mm for use on driveways which was also lessen the risk. 22mm calibrated stuff is much less suitable. Also kandla grey, raj green and autumn brown sandstone are much harder and stronger than fossil mint etc.

I was looking for 40mm thick flags (any size) online but can't find any supplier. Some do packs of 25-40mm mixed thicknesses, but do you know of anywhere that does just 40mm?
Mike

Sorry cant help you with suppliers, i'm in northern ireland. Contact london stone perhaps and they could perhaps put you on to someone.

Uncalibrated 25mm-40mm would probably be fine especially in the colours i mentioned, just avoid calibrated stone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back