Concrete lintel needed by build control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do i really need a concrete lintel installing over this window ?

I am about to replace with a new PVC window and have BC over seeing some other changes as well.

He says i need a 150mm concrete lintel under the wall plate where the roof joists are attached.

The open span is 1200mm.

I will struggle getting a concrete in there, but probably could get a metal L shaped lintel in.

Any ideas if this is really needed ? I would have thought a 100mm concrete lintel would be fine, if using concrete.

After stripping out the plaster board i removed a piece of 2 x 2" which was a packer to make good for the plaster board on the underside. Effectively the wall plate is acting as the lintel. There is an external wood lintel which you can see above the window.

Attachments

• IMG_2971.JPG
    IMG_2971.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2970.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
BC has specified 150mm because it's under wall plate and the span is greater than 1 metre.

By all means put steel in but BC will want a copy of your structural engineers notes for this for their file.

Could you not replace some of the wall plate to thinner timber to get the lintel in?

Possibly. I am going to speak with him again. I am wondering if a piece of L steel work screwed into the wall plate will be ok to beef up this element.

I did this before with a wood lintel i had exposed in an older home and BC was happy with it. It was his suggestion at the time.

Sponsored Links
BCO's can't specify a thing. They may have an opinion or offer a suggestion, but you can always challenge that, or decide to remedy things in a different way.

And in this case, the existing is either adequate or if it's not it can be changed like for like on the basis that the existing was perfectly adequate before the fire, or if can remain and use whatever capacity it has and supplement than with a plate or angle. Or use any lintel that is suitable for the load, and a 65mm concrete may well do if the manufacturer says it will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back