Concrete Mixes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody have a definitive guide to the different strengths of concrete, and the ratios of how to mix?

Online searches are confusing to say the least.... C20, C30 etc... M20, M35 etc... Gen 1...??

For what it's worth, I am after a mix for C35 for a cast in-situ padstone.

Sponsored Links
You don't have the controls to make concrete to a standard at home.

2:1, not too wet, and vibrated.

Or use a concrete lintel.

Why does it need to be cast in-situ? What size padstone has been specified?

300x300x215... or thereabouts. Can't find one that size anywhere, but also the access is a right pain so I was thinking it might be easier to just shutter up once the beam is held in place and then pour the concrete in under it.... still getting my head around it to be honest.

When you say 2:1 Woody, you mean all-in ballast to cement, correct?

Sponsored Links
300mm cavity.

So will sit 300mm over cavity, 300mm long, 215mm high.

I should be able to get at least a 200mm bearing on it with the beam...

Are you using premixed (bags of) ballast or are you going to mix it yourself?

Mixing your self
1 cement, 2 sharp sand, 3 20mm Stone. just enough water to ensure mix is stiff and 'flumphs' (noise) when dropped from about 12inches.

Premixed Ballast
1 cement, 4&1/2 ballast, water as above. If the mix is to grey add up to another 1/2 of ballast.

Vibrate into mould.

LOL

Unless you have a 300mm wide single beam, then you would use two padstones - one per leaf/beam, as one padstone spanning fresh air does not spread the load down the cavity.

If you want to keep it simple you can get a sack of dry 40n mix from Wickes, just add water. It's not too expensive either.
I used a couple for an infill drain cover

Unless you have a 300mm wide single beam, then you would use two padstones - one per leaf/beam, as one padstone spanning fresh air does not spread the load down the cavity.
Says a bloke that angrily waves his surveyors licence at anyone who dares to install a pair of beams without a few bits of threaded bar between them.:rolleyes:

The beam is 203mm UC - with a 280mm plate welded on top to hold up both sides of the cavity wall. Hence I assume the correct way is one big padstone sat across the cavity, with the beam sat in the middle.... that is certainly what I have taken from the SE calcs (although they could be clearer)....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back