Concrete moulds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Has anyone made any? Any good sites to look at for moulds an what mix to use?

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
Long time ago for concrete tunnel linings. 60N mix using 14mm granite with sand.

So rather than thinking small, you could go ahead and make a new Mersey tunnel, te-he-he :LOL:

We actually bid to make the moulds for the Channel Tunnel but an Italian firm got the contract.

Sponsored Links
I once made this mould.

It took me ages and it made this water feature.

I have made quite a few moulds planters urns plinths etc.

Best place to buy moulds is eBay but concrete moulds could mean any type mould so not sure what you mean by concrete mould.

Hi leeco,
That fountain looks pretty cool, that's the kinda thing I want to make, planters ect, mainly for my own garden and family an stuff, got no interest in selling them, so ideally I don't want to be paying top dollar

Have a look at this forum.

www.mysculpturesgallery.com

What you need is latex + latex thickener and try with a small garden ornament fist. Give it 3 coats of just latex then get some thickener in it and give it about 15 - 20 coats to get a good thickness.

You can get latex of ebay but cut out the middle guy and get it from here.

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/liquid-dipping-latex/latex.html

Once you have the latex part of the mould you need to make a fibreglass support case.

I found a cheap fibreglass suppliers near me so have a look about and don't be getting ripped off at places like Halfords.

I get my stuff from here.

www.fiberglasssupplies.co.uk

Once you master the art of fibreglassing you will be making quality moulds like this planter mould I also made.

So how do you make the fibreglass mould then? Do you mould around the latex? I'll have a look at them sites, thanks for the advise

So how do you make the fibreglass mould then? Do you mould around the latex? I'll have a look at them sites, thanks for the advise

Yes but you have to think about how it will come apart. Same with the latex on things like the urn part of the planter.

Yep, in these cases you need to make a parting line (splitting joint) down the length of the mould. This can be in one flat plane or stepped if the pattern dictates...pinenot :)

Yep, in these cases you need to make a parting line (splitting joint) down the length of the mould. This can be in one flat plane or stepped if the pattern dictates...pinenot :)

My brother made this birdbath mould and I was telling him it would never work but I was shocked that it did work when he finished it.

To the op start with something like this little mould so if you go wrong you wont have a lot of money in it.

Get some paraffin as this is good for cleaning latex of paint brushes and get some GRP Acetone as this cleans resin of brushes when fibreglassing.

I didn't know that when I started making moulds and must have spent £100s on paint brushes

Right, so let me get this straight, to make a mould, latex over an item, then fiberglass over the latex?

Right, so let me get this straight, to make a mould, latex over an item, then fiberglass over the latex?

Yep but make sure you use some type of release agent like Vaseline or wax between the latex and fibreglass or you will never separate them from each other.

If you have a look on Youtube and search latex mould or latex fibreglass mould making you should get some good vids to watch that might help you.

But I have give you the basic info on here.

Lets me know how you get on or if I can help ask and ill try my best to help.

This guy has some good videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gunzmcgrawsworld?feature=watch

http://www.castawaymoulds.com.au/how to use latex for moulding.html

http://assemblyline.co.nz/yardart/making-a-gnome-for-yourself/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back