Concrete or Paving Slabs

L

leeweedon

The newest "task" set by the other half is to re-arrange the garden, get a new shed and a greenhouse....

The first question I have is to do with the use of concrete or paving slabs for a "patio area" a the back of the garden that a green house will sit on.

This area is currently grass and is to be 10mx8m

The idea is to keep costs down but I really don't want to "cut corners"
Both concrete and slabs would be hard work but which is most suitable, cost effective and easier to install.

I've read prices from £50-£80 per Sq Meter which scares my bank manager.... especially when there will be another area of 10x12 to do later on in the project.

Any help, pointers or slaps for idiocy are welcome..

Lee

Sponsored Links
50 per sq/m would be a rough guide for the whole job completed by a professional. i.e including all materials and labour.

In reailty for budget materials like that you could save yourself much more.

From a pure cost point of view and assuming you plan to do it yourself flags will be cheaper.

Concrete is much quicker and easier but the material cost is higher.

Its up to you but if access is bad and you have lots of shifting stuff to do then concrete might be better as the workload will be really reduced.

Sponsored Links
Use cheapo concrete slabs from B&Q. cpl of quid each I would think. Bed them on sharp sand, well heeled down and then smoothed over with a spirit level to get it flat and level(ish)

Remember, its a greenhouse base, not a patio.

The cheapest option is concrete by far as it does not require a sub-base.

For a 10x8 area going to want a expansion joint or two but as you are putting structures on it and from what you said some of it will be being used as a patio area you can put the expansion joins near or around the area the structures are on so the patio area is clear.

At 100mm deep you will need about 8 cubic of concrete and depending on how far you are from the supplier that would come to between £700 and £800.

At 150mm you would need 12 cubic so add 50% to the costs.

If you want it in two loads of 4 cubic from mini-mix it would be between £850 and £900 but it would allow you to lay it in a more manageable quantities over 2 days.

1200 gauge damp proof membrane 25 x 4 is £45 to £50.

Expansion joint material is pretty cheap so £30 for that at the very most.

You are going to need quite a lot of timber for shuttering 150mm x 47mm (or 6 x 2 if you prefer inches) is around £2.50 per meter and 50mm x 47mm (or 2 x 2) is £1.50 per meter.

Remember to get enough to build a tamper as well if you are not going to use a power screed.

So barring hiring any power tools like a power screeds or power floats those are your main costs if the concrete slab is going to be above the ground.

For it to be level with the ground you will need to dig out to the depth of the slab and dispose of the material you dig out, just keep in mind that excavated material takes up about 30% more room due to it loosening when you excavate it so a 8 cubic area to dig out will produce 10 - 10.5 cubic of waste (if you are using skips to dispose of it have a buddy jump in the skip and stomp down the soil so you get more in per skip).

This is a pretty good site and has a step by step guide.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/concrete.htm

To make the patio area look nice you have options like these patio paints:

http://www.promain.co.uk/category/Patio_Paint-id1120

I like wabbit read 10x8 and assumed it was feet.

10x8m is a massive patio area.

You will need to install drainage to deal with the water.

Now realising its 80 sq/m I definately would not attempt to pour an area of concrete like that unless you have substantial experience working with concrete.

Also you will have to powerfloat it to get a decent flat hard surface and this is not easy at your first attempt.

Why does it need to be so enourmous can you not keep some as grass?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back