Concrete or screed floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a shed with a beaten earth floor about 4metres by 4 metres. I want to use it as a workshop so want a better floor put in. I know in an ideal world I'd put in 100mm of concrete but I'd have to mix it all by hand and am a bit old and tired. Any easier alternatives like a thinner slab about 50mm or would a cement/sand screed of about 50mm do the job? It would be foot passage only. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Waste of time putting down 50mm of concrete, and screed without a concrete base is a waste of time also. You could shutter it and do it in 2 sections? Just stick some lengths of rebar, (or long bolts) into the first section, so the second will be physically joined to it.
Another plan would be large, thick paving slabs onto tamped sand, could even stick some sheet polystyrene under whatever you go with.

I assume you will have a cement mixer?

If you are middle aged like me, why not treat it like making concrete driveway and split it into 9 sections of 1.3m x 1.3m?

Lay 100mm of hardcore over a number of weeks, compact it and blind it. Lay DPM, then do one 75mm x 1.3m x 1.3m concrete square a day.

I would use 3mm hardboard as the expansion material between the concrete bays but do not use hardboard alone for shuttering as it will just bend under the weight of wet concrete.

As you progress you will be using already set concrete sections for part of the shuttering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back