Concrete pumping in Northern Ireland? RoI? Use a Dumper Instead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m building a double garage / shed at the back of my house which will be 65’ (20m) from the main road with access through a ‘drive through’ garage (door at either end). I need 6m3 of concrete in the new garage base and I will only have 4 people total to do the labour and tamping/levelling/floating, so wheelbarrowing is out. The concrete supplier has told me that they will wait 15 minutes per load, plus 5 minutes per cube, so 45 minutes to get the concrete off the lorry and into the base.

Seems like I have 2 options – dumper trucks or a concrete pump. I can’t see anyone in Northern Ireland who has a concrete pump apart from the huge boom types for commercial builds. Rough cost for one of those is apparently £1000 a day.

Anyone know any companies who pump in NI or ROI for a decent price? Ones who use trailer type pumps? Can they be towed by a car?

If I go for the dumper route, how do I get the concrete close to where I want it, over insulation, DPM and mesh sitting up on stands?!?!?

Sponsored Links
That's the job alright!

Phoned up FIVE local concrete pumping companies in the Yellow Pages and the lowest quote so far was £480 for a days hire of a 30m boom system. I doubt it would even fit into my street along with the mixer lorry. My curtain twitching pensioner neighbours would have a canary. One guy told me he's been in the pumping game for 15 years and he's never seen a trailer pump in Northern Ireland. Over here we must be good with the wheelbarrows. :) Maybe I should buy one and hire it out.

Looks like there's a company in Dublin - Easy Pumps Concrete Pumping - which do those trailer type pumps, but no joy getting hold of them yet.

Contacted a supplier of concrete pumps in Ireland and they have sold 2 in the North, both of which are used by piling companies for their own work so not for hire.

So now I'm left with forking out £480 for a boom pump, or 2 dump trucks at £100 a day. Was thinking I could place the rebar into the concrete as I go, in 2' x 2' size sheets? Is there any downside to having lots of sheets rather than a continuous sheet or larger sheets wired together?

How do you drive the dumper on top of 50mm kingspan insulation? Scaffold boards?

Has anyone laid concrete with a dumper truck?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you'd be better off getting a couple more bodies in, and maybe, paying the conc. truck a bit of waiting time if necessary. Got to be cheaper than £480.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back