Concrete Slab mix quantities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone help me figure out how many bags of cement and ballast I will need to make a concrete slab 9.6mx5.4m 150mm thick. Mixture will be 1-5.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yes that is what I'm going to do... and in fact it's 300quid cheaper to get it poured then to buy the ballast and cement !

Sponsored Links
Do you think that steel reinforcement mesh is a must or is it a bit over the top.. slab is for a timber garden room, snooker room 150mm thick,

You might be OK without if you are on non-shrinkable granular soils but I'd put some A193 mesh in as it'll help to prevent differential settlement and potential cracking, especially if you are on shrinkable soils or made ground. I assume you've gone to the appropriate depth with the foundations?

Soil type in my area is clay, my plan is,
50mm type 1
20mm sand
Dpm
150mm slab, (100mm being above ground level)
Thanks for ur help btw

Soil type in my area is clay, my plan is,
50mm type 1
20mm sand
Dpm
150mm slab, (100mm being above ground level)
Thanks for ur help btw

So you're digging 120mm into the ground to build the base of your slab. Will you even have dug beyond topsoil at that depth??

Good point, was planning to compact the earth and then start to layer up with sub-base, sand, concrete.
What would you suggest?

What would you suggest?
Dig a hole and see what the ground is like!

You'll need to excavate beyond any topsoil or shallow made ground to make sure you're founding on firm ground otherwise its likely to crack.
A minimum of 150mm type 1 is usually standard for a ground bearing slab sub-base.

Ok thanks for the advice, I'll see what I find when digging. I think I will consider changing things slightly, increasing the depth of mot type 1 to 150mm as u mentioned and reducing the depth of the concrete to 100mm

Are you insulating below the slab?

Last edited:
I have that alot of thought and in the end have decided not to. I'm just not convinced you get enough bang for your buck insulating a concrete floor. I'm going to have carpet in the garden room with a fibreboard underlay.
My house has concrete floor, built in the 40's so doubt that is insulated and is fine all year round.

A building that size needs to be built according to the building regs, and should therefore have insulation on the slab

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back