Concrete step needed for garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I need a concrete step for the garden. Is it faster for a builder to shutter some concrete to make the step or is there a concrete lintel(?) thats premade that he can cement in place?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks @foxhole . I just need it done as cheap as possible but not look cr-p. Would a concrete block step look something like (I grabbed this off Google):

cutting-into-earth.jpg

Ill try and take some photos later so you can see what Im working with.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
These are what I currently have. They were probably put in 30 years ago so have weathered in nicely. So I want an extra step or 2 that match these as best as possible.

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

So perhaps theres a premade concrete step/concrete block that looks similar?

Is it almost as quick to shutter concrete to create a step?

Ive taken some more photos:

Steps leadng to front of house. The middle brick step is one that needs replacing so I want it to look like the other concrete steps. Gravel will be laid on the steps/front paths.

IMG_1890.JPG

The steps lead to front of house with a path eitherside of front door. I need a concrete step either side so you step down onto the pathway.

IMG_1893.JPG

View as you step to the right of front door. Ive put a couple of bits of stone there for now but I was to replace these with a concrete step to match. The pathway will be graveled. (Presume I need to dig a trench to site the yellow land drain down in and then gravel over).

IMG_1892.JPG

At the gate - the risers (height of step) are all supposed to be the same, the rise beteeen the top conc. step and road level is not the same as the other two risers.

Cast lintels don't come free, maybe shutter one or more new path gravel retaining steps, possibly to take any slope out of the path. Make sure that you lose some rebar in new conc. steps or they'll snap, especially if they're long, don't put rebar close to surface of concrete (rebar should have 50min cover of conc, see images of the ends of conc. lintels)

There are min and max recommended riser dims (and also goings dims).

You can make steps down each side of door out of conc. or blockwork, in either case the riser could be faced with (engineering/frost proof) bricks and there are plenty of natural stone/slate finish type conc. paving slabs available for the top surfaces.

Also, look at falls info re step surfaces where steps are outside, to allow water to drain.

A drill on hammer action is a makeshift way to briefly vibrate shuttering and get any air up out of the mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back