concrete threshold (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a side door into my garage, and it lets in water (lots of water). i want to put a thresher across, i wonder would a concrete one do the job, and how do i do it.
i have block paving. down , (i didn't put this down ) i think it slopes very slightly to the garage,from the blocks to the door is approx 6 inches.
can some one explain how to do it. or a alternative.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
You might want to describe it as a threshold, otherwise people might ignore the post, thinking that you're talking about some kind of obscure hybrid building/agriculture equipment....

Photos would help. Your block paving, or a step, needs to fall away from the garage door. The door needs a weather bar at the bottom to direct rainwater. Does the door frame currently have any kind of threshold at the bottom?

Sponsored Links
Sorry about the title , its' a threshold. i am attaching photos'. the black piece you see is my attempt at a THRESHOLD
a length of hardwood covered in a piece of damp proof . not very successful. you can see the blocks the are about i/4 inch above concrete.
without my threshold it just goes right into the garage. in fact with my threshold it goes right into the garage. any advice would be welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    620 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    580.8 KB · Views: 20
If the blocks are above the concrete slab, and the blocks naturally drain towards the concrete slab, then you will get lots of water in there. A suggestion I could make, is to add a channel between slab and blocks, to collect the water, before it gets onto the slab - always providing it would have somewhere to drain, if you did that. You could test the principle, by just removing some of those blocks.

One of these...

Intended for a garage (car) door, but could be cut to length for your side door.

Not necessarily this seller, lots are available, usually includes a tube of thick black goo to seal it in.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I site-cast one for my garage personal door in concrete, but it is not as hard and smooth as a factory-made one. Presumably they are vibrated and hydraulically pressed for maximum density and cohesion.

unfortunately it,s not my property so i can;t do any alterations but i can put some sort of a sill /threshold in.
i dont know if a rubber strip would be the answer , a concrete one would work better for me .(less cost).
and something i could do myself. it is just knowing how to go about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back