Concrete vs Lead flashing - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a top floor flat which needs repairs doing to the roof.

I have had a quote from an independent roofer which was £13k but this covered significant works. One of the things he said should be done was to replace the old concrete flashing with Lead flashing. This is because the current concrete flashing has cracked over time and as a result is taking on water. This is a problem on several parts of the pitched roof.

The management company has obtained a separate quote of around £7k but the contractor they have had the quote from proposes repointing the cracks in the current flashing rather than replacing it completely.

I want to know if this is a short term solution to a long term problem. Is it likely that as the house moves over time that the same problem will occur in the not too distant future resulting in further costs down the line. Or is it a reasonable solution which I can expect to last for years to come?

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Jess

Sponsored Links
Cement fillets will always fail over time and should be replaced with lead flashings (and soakers if it is a slate or plain tile roof)

I agree with the first comment too. Pointing on to the slate/tile is
futile to say the least. A good code4 lead flashing with soakers
is far better.

Use a good quality lead compatible silicone sealant
for the chase in the wall, it won't fall out with the movement!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back