Concrete Workshop Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm putting in a concrete slab for a large workshop at the bottom of my garden. There is only access from an adjoining field 9 metres away from the centre of the site plus with a 45 degree slope from the field boundary to the site ground level 1.5 metres below. A concrete pump is very expensive for just one 6cu m load. Has anyone got any ideas other than barrow it?

Sponsored Links
If you have that much slope then the mixer cute would get it part way there and you could build a slope channel out of plywood to get it the rest of the way. Then you only have to worry about spreading it out which will be problem enough.
Never tried it myself though.
Alternatively some of those mini mix places will do narrowing included in the quote.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I'm putting in a concrete slab for a large workshop at the bottom of my garden. There is only access from an adjoining field 9 metres away from the centre of the site plus with a 45 degree slope from the field boundary to the site ground level 1.5 metres below. A concrete pump is very expensive for just one 6cu m load. Has anyone got any ideas other than barrow it?

Try getting a price from the concrete network, I found them the cheapest recently. Pump is about £350+ vat.

I cant see a barrow getting down a 45 degree slope and keeping much concrete in it :)

I reckon I'd have a go at building a chute for that. I built one for my pour from left over shuttering ply, scaff boards and dpm. Was about 4m long. Worked absolutely perfectly. Way easier than barrowing. At the very least build a chute down the slope onto the site and just barrow across the field. Depends on the slope

As others have suggested build a chute or hire a tipper and fill it a third to a half full each run. I hired a tipper a few times back in the summer for a 100m squared slab done in two sections. It cost me £55 for the day. A £6 rake from wilkos worked well to push the cony around.

Also pick a company that doesnt use trucks with auto gearboxes incase it gets stuck in the field. Our concrete lorry got stuck but luckily we knew a few people with tractors to tow him out. Then the tractor guy helped up get the concrete to where it needed to be. We used manor mix who mix the stuff on site so you pay only for what you use. If you dont use these kind of companies its worth having shuttering for another project setup as an overflow.

Good luck

Thanks very much guys, there are some very good solutions there. It will be after Christmas when I get to concrete it now and will update this post when it's done. Thanks again and Merry Christmas all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back