Shed/Workshop base opinions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon gents.

I'm debating either buying, or building from scratch my own large shed/workshop. Something around 12ft x 10ft.

I've knocked up small sheds and playhouses in the past with no problems, just resting them on levelled slabs. But I'm thinking something this big would need a more substantial base.

I've been watching videos on how to make your own concrete slab, but friends I've spoken to have said that mixing concrete by hand is going to be expensive and time consuming and have suggesting readymix concrete.

This sounds good, but access isn't altogether straightforward. We have access around the side of the house, but only about 1.5m wide. If a lorry was parked on the front drive, there's a distances of 15m around the side of the house from the front and to the back of garden where the shed base would be. The ground also slopes upwards slightly.

I'm just wondering what you lot think. Could I get away with using slabs for something this big? Could readymix be used in these circumstances, could it be pumped this distance around the side of the house, or would it need to be wheelbarrowed? Whats my best options?

All opinions appreciated folks. :D

Sponsored Links
i have a 10x12ft shed the foundations are in a grid form 2ft centers
slab/part slab on compacted sand an or cement with a brick/block on top bit off felt/dpm on top
floor 3x2" treated at 24" centers[ outside ones at 2" in for protection so 21.5" centers
floor and roof 18mm ply walls 3x2" at 2ft centers covered with 5" txg shiplap cladding

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=e1e47346.pbw

Last summer I needed a fair bit of concrete at the bottom of garden 100m from road and I used an outfit called Mixamate.

A feckin big truck, and that is an understatement, mixes the stuff in real time and dumps it in a powered wheelbarrow which is driven to where it's needed and emptied into the hole. It went through a standard door opening too.

You pay extra but the only thing you need to do is watch then level it out and tamp it down. Lad driving the truck was very helpful as he soon realised he was the concrete expert and not I. Saves you hours and hours mixing it yourself and time, as they say, is money. And it's good quality stuff.

Make sure you count the number of loads so it agrees with the final price. They will quote you a price on the phone if you have the dimensions.

I will be knocking down our original rotten timber garage and replacing it with a storage, kids space, office.

I bought an electric mixer for the base as I am using it to rough cast the extension i built first. I was looking for a second hand one but the price they sell for on ebay made me realise it would be better buying one and looking after it to sell afterwards. Did the extension foundations with a hire one which was a waste of money.

The extension was built a year ago and in between I did a loft conversion. The chimney was dismantled down to the living room floor and I still have the rubble to form a base before concreting over for this project.

I cant see how anyone could justify ready mix unless its up to 6 - 8 m3
The small mixer will cost peanuts in the end if you resell. Its down to wether you want a day or two of graft or an expensive one of slightly less graft wheelbarrowing.

Sponsored Links
Lots to think about there from different perspectives.

If I went down the portable mixer route, I see there's some 100 litre electric jobbies on eBay for under £180 delivered. I'm a complete novice to mixing any sort of cement/concrete....would it simply be case of mixing it and pouring it in, repeat, repeat etc until you've done the lot, or is there a specific way to do it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back