precast concrete base for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to demolish an old precast garage to allow for an extension. After giving thought to a few options I decided to go with a PvC shed. The shed requires 100mm thick concrete slab around 3000mm x 3000mm at the base.

Quotes received for preparing site and purring mixed concrete for this work ranged in the area of £700~900...o_O

I worth if worth considering a precast slab or something alternative for the base and whether it would save costs or have the opposite effect?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So a "precast " slab 3 metres square and 100mm thick?

How in God's name do you move that?

Paving slabs installed on a decent base will probably outlast the shed. 75mm of hardcore and 50mm of screed.

However it may be cheaper to simply pour a slab with readymix. I have done plenty and it usually works out similar cost but the concrete is better. If you need to shift materials a long way concrete is definately better.

There is a reason there is no market for precast concrete shed bases, its technically impractical and prohibitively expensive.

It is an option :p

But I have to do it right and cannot delay the rest of the project...

Make a frame from 4x1, pour the concrete, run a 4mtr length of wood along the top of the frame to level and its job done.

Stick some mesh in it if you like but I wouldn't bother.

R896neo is right about the ready mix, it would be quicker and cleaner and might even be cheaper than doing it yourself if you had to hire a mixer.

See the frame on this one?:
image.jpeg

Ready mix is about £100/m3 depending on locality...........so for £100 (0.9m3) it just isn't worth messing around with a mixer, cement, aggregate, mess, hard work etc.... Some firms also offer chopped fibre addition to the mix, so may not require the steel mesh.

By ready mix I mean a volumetric mixer, not a drum mixer. You only pay for what is needed on the pour. Most firms will probably have a minimum call out fee though. Worth a call round the local firms.....

Great advice everyone, I can see why precast will not work and sounds like readymix is the way to go!

Seems that some a few companies will do 1m3 as a minimum, only thing is I need to figure out how to have this poured at the back of the garden...:rolleyes:

So you just mean a cast base, created in advance?

If you have side access it's easier.
If in a terrace you might have to wheel barrow it through the house so preparation would be the key with tarps and hardboard laid as protection

Barrow mix is where a truck with dry ingredients arrives and they mix on site.

So you just mean a cast base, created in advance?

If you have side access it's easier.
If in a terrace you might have to wheel barrow it through the house so preparation would be the key with tarps and hardboard laid as protection

Barrow mix is where a truck with dry ingredients arrives and they mix on site.

Yes I have a side alley, thank god for this :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back