Shed base questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20170811_165541.jpg 20170811_165530.jpg
I've dug out a big hole as my pictures show. I'm going for a 10ft x 8ft shed. I need to build a retaining wall at the back of the site too to save the fence collapsing. Though the fence does belong to me, and I had toyed with demolishing it and building the shed on the property line (as I'm doing round the corner).

Will I be ok building my retaining wall on my shed slab? Then framing the shed around it? I'm going to use breeze blocks laid flat with gravel infill. May also use a french drain or similar.

I've dug a shovels depth (about a foot) though I've yet to level it out to a uniform depth.

Is it MOT type 1 I need for the base? Then all in ballast and cement for the top. What qty of each of these products am I likely to need? If I do 100mm of each its 0.72 cubic metres each.

With the MOT I don't have a compactor, does it really need this? Could i just use a plank and jump about on it for an hour?

Incidentally would a ready mix company deliver such a quantity? If I had to round it up to a cube I'd find somewhere for it to go or just lay the shed base deeper (140mm is 1.008cubic). And any idea on price in Rotherham? Only problem with ready mix is access - the roadside is a good 25 metres away and there's nowhere to tip it on my property. The thought of mixing up all that concrete fills me with dread. I dont have a mixer.

The soil is going to the builders doing the extension at the house behind - a stroke of luck!

Sponsored Links
You'll need a proper compactor for the mot,I hired one in London a couple of years back for 60 odd pounds including delivery for Friday to Monday, should be at least as cheap elsewhere. That even included collection and delivery.
For the concrete you can use a mini mix with Barrow service, not sure the cost but they mix at the road side on the lorry.
Make sure not to have the base bigger then the shed otherwise it'll get water running across it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back