Concreted in inspection chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pics attached. I assume this is an i/c for the downspout in the back corner. The muppet that did the drive (b4 i lived here) seems to have concreted in the i/c.

Do u think it is an inspection chamber, or something else? If it is, how best to get it open..... angle grind the perimeter and smash the concrete up? Not too bothered about the mess, I hate the driveway and will be re-doing it eventually.

ignore the Collie thats longing to get out

20210131_170441.jpg
20210131_170523.jpg
20210131_170441.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is that a metal frame it’s set in? If so it could be one of those concealed ones but they normally have handles. Try just prizing it up with a bar. It would make no sense to have the stones cut like that, if it wasn’t designed to be lifted. Unless it was a historical repair maybe.

Its in some kind of frame I think. I have tried to prize it up, but it didn't budge. Perhaps its not an I/C after all, and it could be a repair i guess. Ill have a closer look tomorrow.

Its that awful pressed concrete that was all the rage in the 90's.

WHats in the small hole?
Could it be a method of unlocking or lifting it perhaps?

Sponsored Links
Thats just a bit of moss off the roof matty

Think I might be special....... it is a hole Matty, can't belive I've never seen it. Better pic attached. Its some kind of galvanised cover. Still not sure how to lift it......

20210131_183829.jpg

Last edited:
Dig the moss out, it might be a lockable type.

A good way to clean out the joint is with a pressure washer, make sure you wear safety glasses. Or cut inbetween the cover and lid with a small angle grinder and a 1mm disc.

Then use 2 very large screw drivers and slowly use them to jamb into the joint and lever the cover up with both screwdrivers in a up and down movement.

I have done it many times.

Andy

Depends on what’s been used. It might be a square head type. Check the other end as well, in case there’s anything there - where the cement is.

I’d give it some abuse with a maul, then verbally, then try and knock a really thin bolster chisel down between the lid and frame.

This isn't going well.....
I've virtually bent the entire frame back now, got two really strong screwdrivers into the cleft that got really good purchase with the lid, and it didn't budge at all. What kind of keys might I need if its locked..... took these pics. There is a circle hole about 10mm diameter at each end on the centre line.

20210201_110737.jpg

Attachments

• 20210201_110746.jpg
    20210201_110746.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 60
Manhole cover keys:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=manhole+lifter&_osacat=0

https://www.toolstation.com/manhole...MI-azv_s_I7gIVeYFQBh2HRA5QEAQYAiABEgJ8ofD_BwE

I would put a key in.
Make a platform (pile) of flat wood on ground next next to key to make a fulcrum point.
Put my crowbar or pry bar on this wood, end of bar into handle of key and lift it to break joint, and then lift again by a couple of cm to get screw driver into gap.

Then do again on other side.

SFK

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
OK, so I've tried it with the hooks..... massive crowbar on the end and a piece of wood as a fulcrum..... the keys have just started to pull through the metal...... that how much its stuck down. I can only conclude that its actually locked in place. Are there such things as locking manhole covers?

Cancel that...... I've looked in the hole and there's nothing in there to turn. Angle grinder next

Attachments

• 20210201_130011.jpg
    20210201_130011.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210201_130040.jpg
    20210201_130040.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back