Concreted in inspection chamber

OK, so I've tried it with the hooks..... massive crowbar on the end and a piece of wood as a fulcrum..... the keys have just started to pull through the metal...... that how much its stuck down. I can only conclude that its actually locked in place. Are there such things as locking manhole covers?

its not locked in place, its the weight of the concrete and the gods knows how many years its been since it was lifted.

you need to get a large hammer through flat screwdriver and chisel between the lid and frame. its time consuming but you will start making progress.

eventually you will be able to get the screw driver and start prising the manhole up, once at this point yo can use the keys to lift it

Sponsored Links
I managed to get two large flat head screwdrivers in earlier today and got a good amount of leverage against the cover and it didn't budge at all.

I managed to get two large flat head screwdrivers in earlier today and got a good amount of leverage against the cover and it didn't budge at all.

keep going, have to go all around.

the cover you have definitely doesnt have a locking mechanism.

VICTORY!!!.. like u said turbo, had to seperate the frame from the cover all the way round by hammering a big flat head screwdriver between them all the way round. After that, I had to use two big flat heads and a lifting hook off a crow bar and fulcrum all at the same time to get it off. Cant believe how the two metal plates had pretty much folded together all the way around.

Sponsored Links
yes, i have changed 2 of my 4 trays , live by the sea and had to take all the block paving in the tray and around, then the complete assembly came out all corroded together , we only live 1/2 a Km from the sea.
The new ones I put some grease and a special anti corrosion spay on ACF-50, but that spray only last a year, so maybe a waste

glad you have it sorted

I've put the lid back on now. I'll takema pic of the damage ive done getting it off. I'm not bothered about the damage tho, the drive is getting done soon enough.

20210201_160246.jpg
20210201_160241.jpg
20210201_160234.jpg

yes, i have changed 2 of my 4 trays , live by the sea and had to take all the block paving in the tray and around, then the complete assembly came out all corroded together , we only live 1/2 a Km from the sea.
The new ones I put some grease and a special anti corrosion spay on ACF-50, but that spray only last a year, so maybe a waste

glad you have it sorted
I built an extension in St Leonard on sea many moons ago and the pavers (good ones for a change) had the manhole cover frame built in stainless steel by an ironmonger as the sea salt would've corroded anything else in no time they said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back