Concreting in 0 degrees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ideally I want to concrete in my aco drain and last remaining flat top concrete edges today (for patio)

Weather says temp will be 0 degree lowest but 7-8 during day.

Is it ok to concrete in these conditions?

Sponsored Links
Cover it up with something insulating at night, it'll be fine. Curing times are extended in low temperatures

I normally use an old duvet, between plastic if it looks like it's gonna get wet

Sponsored Links
Ideally I want to concrete in my aco drain and last remaining flat top concrete edges today (for patio)

Weather says temp will be 0 degree lowest but 7-8 during day.

Is it ok to concrete in these conditions?
Surfaces can get spoiled, is about all. If its a big lump, I'd not worry too much. Throw some hessian sacking over it or a few old dust sheets.

You can use warm water in the mix, which helps, and cover it once set enough not to be marked. It will lose a lot of heat on a cold, clear night if not covered.

You can use warm water in the mix, which helps, and cover it once set enough not to be marked. It will lose a lot of heat on a cold, clear night if not covered.
Warm water does not help.

What may help, as the cement reaction is exothermic, would be adding more cement.
But easier would be to just add an accelerant/ frostproofer.

Why do you say that? It is done in cold regions.
I say it because it does not work, whether it's so cold that 0°C is within the hour and then all night, or whether 0°C is several hours away.

Think about it.

And then add the fact that the water in the mix must have reacted or evaporated before it is allowed to freeze

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back