concreting on top of RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We want to make a floor on top of some RSJ, the span of each RSJ is about 1.200mm, I want to concrete over the beams to make a floor, with mesh in of course.
Do I need to treat the steel with anything?

Can I simply make a wooden shutter to flush fit with the top of the RSJ lay my re-bar and concrete a 6" slab on top.
or
should I or could I make a shutter around my RSJs and concrete the lot.
The RSJ's are 6"x4" there'll be a small wall on the outer beam we'll use hollow blocks there, apart from that people will only walk on the floor.

Regards

SM

Sponsored Links
Is the RSJ suitable for extra load that it will be carrying?
I assume the RSJ was calculated for it's existing use, not the addition of 6 inch of concrete slab and block work.

Well I don't know what your purpose is for out there in Ghana, but I can say that you don't have to treat the steel in any special way.

However, if the location means corrosion due to it getting wet will occur, getting at least a steel primer on it first will help. Better still a full paint system.

They were used for an overhead gantry operation, all i wan to do is floor it and use the space.
it's about 2.5 m wide with gaps between of 1.2m 3 of these gaps.

Sm

Sponsored Links
You don't need to treat the steel unless it is exposed to regular damp. But as a minimum consider a coat of paint or primer

You can encase the steel, but the concrete will need sufficient cover to prevent it cracking - and probably some mesh in it as well

Your steel reinforcement in the concrete may need to be adequate to prevent shear of the slab next to the beam - so it may not be just a case of throwing some mesh into it. But it depends on what is going on with the rest of the slab - it may well be OK for just that short span

We don't have any regulations like the UK.
but for piece of mind I'd like to know if they would be ok for the job.
sm

THanks woody.

We'll use some 14\16 mm rebar, on 2" spacers. 6x6 mesh
SM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back