Concreting over slab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a 'builder' pour a slab for a shed and honestly it's the worst job I've ever seen. Usually I would have done it myself but didn't have time.

The top is too uneven to simply screed over, so I'm plannig to a pour about 30 to 50mm depth over the top.

Obviously never had to do this before.

Do I need to prepare the top of the slab with anything for the new concrete and is 30 to 50mm ok?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Usually when pouring a concrete topping, you normally need to scrabble or roughen the concrete prior to placing the new slab, but if it's is very rough, it might not be required - it should always be nice and clean and free of dust and detritus though. You should also use a smaller maximum aggregate size than normal, say 10mm instead of 20mm. If you were more like 75mm in thickness, I would also consider using some A142 mesh, but you shouldn't do this if you are going to stick at the thickness you mentioned - it's too thin for mesh.

Is it possible you could increase you topping thickness to something like 75mm? Doing this and using 10mm aggregate and the mesh will make it a proper job.

To me, 30-50mm would be fine for a wet screed?

As above: clean and loose debris free.
Prime the slab surface with say a couple of coats of SBR. Second coat tacky.
If you can get it, Granite "fines to dust" are good for a shallow sand & cement mix.
Be aware of raising the FFL & causing yourself further problems, esp at thresholds.

Did the builder use a membrane (a DPM)?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back