Concumer unit from uk for overseas supply of 220v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i want to take a consumer unit abroad only thing is the supply is rated at 220v, do i need take this into account when buying a consumer unit plus i want built in RCD and room for 8 mcb's.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The voltage variation is insignificant and the least of your worries. You will need to understand and conform with the electrical regulations and practices in your destination country.

BTW UK prices for electrical and other items are unlikely to be lower than in your destination country, especially if it is in Western or Central Europe.

Hi,
thanks for reply the thing is im taking a shower with me from over here and want to make sure it is connected properly i know the c/u over there is from here aswell but it doesnt have rcd built in.
so can i take one from here then and it'll be okay on 220v.
reason why i ask i know i can just get everything together before i go but we do have a qualified elec doing the work.
can you recommend a c/u for me to take one that'll cover my needs and existing

cheers

you don't say where you are going but if its in the EU you should be ok with a modern british CU because of harmonisation agreements.

might be an idea to think about availiblity of breakers and possiblly take some extras over with you (though if you are travelling back and forth all the time this may not be such an issue).

Sponsored Links
Pick a "European" maker, like Siemens, Schneider (Merlin-Gerin, Telemecanique).....???

baldelectrician said:
if it is a 220V supply over there you will get less power from the shower.

Why not phone a reputable manufacturer (Triton for example) and see if they do an export model at the voltage you require.

MK also do export MCB's and similar items.

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/PDF/technical/SENTRY_prod.pdf[/QUOTE]

Thnaks mate good idea, ill get onto them.

i know it'll probably be best to get the things up there and cheaper but its just easier to get the bits all together before i go as im only there a short while.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster - you don't say which country you are going to, but most countries have their own regulations, which are not harmonised.

Lets take France for example the materials must have the NF-EN mark on it so UK stuff is no use because its stamped BS-EN.

Also in France all circuit breakers must be double pole not single pole like the UK.

Again in France the maximum supply you can get from the power distributor in some areas is 30A - so you would have to put everything else off to us your shower.

I think you need to do a bit more homework before you start buying anything.

CaptainKirk

GnzYza said:
cheers mr ban, its going to pakistan though

CaptainKirk said:
This sounds like a recipe for disaster - you don't say which country you are going to

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

CaptainKirk said:
I think you need to do a bit more homework before you start buying anything.
I think you need to do a bit more reading ;)

Captain Slogg was mentioned most weeks but He never got into all the strife that Kirk, Spock & Bones did, in fact I can`t remember seeing him, he was only mentioned, unless He was in the episode with Spocks 3 ears (Left, Right & Final Front)

Sponsored Links
Back