220v european light fitting to use in UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking at buying a pendant light which says "only European 220v available" can this be used in the UK? I don't want an electrician to tell me its not compatible after purchase.

Thanks J.

Sponsored Links
In theory Europe and UK have harmonised and both should be 230 volt +10% -6% at 50 Hz however there are a few points where the two differ. In the main that should not stop you using European appliances.

We have a ring final not used in most of Europe, and use 13A fuses in our plugs, so our sockets have to be non reversible. We wire lights going lamp to lamp with a pair plus earth to switch, where Europe tends to wire switch to switch.

But in the main we can use all European stuff, but some times some alterations are also required.

I will guess the warning is aimed to people in the USA not UK, but only a guess.

whssign.gif

Sponsored Links
We have a ring final not used in most of Europe
Not relevant to a pendant light fitting.

, and use 13A fuses in our plugs,

so our sockets have to be non reversible

We wire lights going lamp to lamp with a pair plus earth to switch, where Europe tends to wire switch to switch.

some times some alterations are also required.
To a pendant light fitting?

Ask the supplier why he is selling products that aren't suitable for the harmonised European voltage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back