Correct amp terminal block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Forgive me for asking probably quite a basic question but I have 1 light switch downstairs and also 1 light switch upstairs, both going to 1 ceiling light on the landing in my house. My wife has recently purchased a new lighting pendant and so I have attempted to fix it on. I've had to replace the regular light fitting with this new one (says 220V so I am not sure if that is an issue already) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plumen-1302...ie=UTF8&qid=1383079977&sr=1-5&keywords=plumen

Is it safe to use it as it says 220V and also what is the correct amp to use for the terminal block that connects two switches (1 downstairs, 1 upstairs) to this pendant please? I have a 10amp terminal block at the moment and I am not sure what the dangers are of using something too low.

Thank you,
Richard

Sponsored Links
5A connection block will be fine, as will be your 10A one.
But you should not just be popping these connection up in to the ceiling, if connecting to the lamp, the terminals should be placed in an accessible enclosure. Ideally the connection wants to be made within the fitting, if space allows.

Thanks!

It's inside the little enclosure in the lamp at the moment, is that bad? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Ah! Saw your last sentence just now. It's inside the little upside down cup... (sorry, I'm really bad at the names of these things..)

I think everything should be in order then! Many thanks again :D My wife is astonished at the speed you replied by the way (I told her that there's a lot of clever and kind people out there ;) )

Ah! Saw your last sentence just now. It's inside the little upside down cup... (sorry, I'm really bad at the names of these things..)
Generic term would be ceiling rose, but upside down cup does me.
I think everything should be in order then! Many thanks again :D
Yes providing you don't mix any cables up
My wife is astonished at the speed you replied by the way (I told her that there's a lot of clever and kind people out there ;) )
Yes lots of clever people, unfortunately you got me ;)

Generic term would be ceiling rose, but upside down cup does me.
Do you think that's what he means? I would have thought that a ceiling rose probably counted as a 'up the right way' cup (give or take the hole at the bottom :) ), rather than an 'upside down' one, wouldn't you?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back