Use of 220V rated fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some imported fluorescent light fittings -self contained-. They have CE marking, UKAS certification, etc. but they are rated 220V 50 Hz. A local electrician has told me that the voltage in the area can go above 240V at times.

If I use them in a house, are they likely to survive in the long term and what is the worst thing that can happen?

Sponsored Links
The current rating is more important that the voltage.

Determine the wattage of the fitting that you're installing, and work out whether your prospective accessory can sustain the current.

The light fittings are 32W and 22W but I thought it was the other way round with the current: it is necessary to see if the installation (wiring and CBs) will sustain the current demanded by the fitings on it

The current rating is more important that the voltage.

I'm not sure why you'd say that. In this situation they are both equally important, as a greater supply voltage will lead to an increase in current. The impedance of the fitting wont change a great deal, therefore voltage is the deciding factor here.

I'd assume that a 220v fitting will still work with harmonised voltages. Take a look inside and see if you can find any markings on the ballast to indicate the usable supply voltage range, you might find it to be better than the manufacturers specifications.

I'd still be inclined to try and obtain some fittings designed to be used on UK supplies, but if you must use these then you could always wire one up to a 13A plug (with 3A fuse) on a temporary basis and see how they perform. As long as nothing gets too hot and the lamp life seems normal then I doubt there will be a problem.

EDIT: Softus, I think I see what you're saying now. However, remember that is is a fluorescent fitting, so unless the lamp is a CFL then the voltage and current ratings will be governed by the ballast. This is most likely an integral part of the fitting and will have been specified for 220v, although may support other voltages too.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back