condemned boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a landlords inspection done on a new property and they've condemed the Vulcan Verona back boiler.

Although not thrilled at the prospect of paying for a new one I accept that it needs doing. They told me that I cannot even replace with a like-4-like boiler as no-one makes them and all new boilers have to be condensing etc I'm still trying to get my head round the figure of £2500 to fit a simple type 'B' combi boiler as the existing pipework and rads (all 5 of them) are staying, albeit the boiler will be re-sited on an outside wall.

They've said approx. 1.5 days work to fit it, does this sound reasonable.

Sponsored Links
Bearing in mind that the boiler will be sited elsewhere so additional pipework and electrics will be required this seems to be very reasonable provided that a reasonable quality boiler is being fitted. May be pushing it with 1.5 days though but i cant see the site? Best bet is to always get 3 quotes at least and then chose the engineer that comes highly recommended/provides references etc. Remember that the cheapest doesnt always work out that way in the long run. This is an investment and it may be better to spend a little more now than a lot more in the future.

Fair enough, just sounded a lot for labour when you see boiler prices around the £600-£650 mark

Sounds a reasonable price for what needs to be done.

You pay for what you get, get a low cost boiler and a cheap price to put it in and you will probably find you end up paying more i the long run in additional remedial work / repairs

Sponsored Links
Seems a reasonable price, does it include proper cleaning of the system. The removal of old tanks, boiler and cylinder.

What boiler are they intending to fit.

James

£600 - £650?? Some boilers are but it depends on whether he is fittig a quality boiler or not? Also its not just the boiler cost, take into account that there will also be
TRV's
room stat
programmer
flue kit
additional pipework (copper isnt cheap anymore!!) depending on distance?
condensate pipework
cylinder stat
jacket for cylinder?
All above will have to be done to reach Part L minimum standards.
The system will have to be drained and flushed, Old pipework removed and capped depending on where it runs etc. New boiler sited and flue core drilled or possible roof work depending on your situation. Possible kitchen units and work surfaces to be moved/drilled etc. Gas supply will generally have to be uprated to 22mm. System to be converted to sealed. TRVs fitted to rads. Possibly a bypass to be fitted though most new ones have an internal one in the boiler. Additional power supply for boiler tested to comply with part P. Additional wiring for controls depending on what you already have existing, or a wirless set up? Full system flush and associated chemicals that go with this. Inhibitor added and system tested and gas rated. Also when people say labour they miss the fact that this is not just hands on work but also goes towards running expenses such as his van, insurances, qualifications, VAT man etc.

I've probably missed a few bits aswell but i was rushing and not quoting!!! lol. £2500 still seem expensive? Like i said before though always get additional quotes.

Looks like the general concensus is that the price is fair :)

The guys were recommended and seem very genuine so I'll give them the go ahead rather than shop around and possibly waste others time coming out to quote.

I only wanted to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off as I've no idea how things are costed and exactly how much work was involved but you've all eased my mind. Thanks :)

so has the 1000 point scheme gone out the window then and valor baxi stopped making them?

there should be a museum for boilers and this is definetly one of them. not heard that name for a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back