Condensate from Condensing boiler

XP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a condensing boiler and understand that the condensate is corrosive. Manual only requires pipework to be plastic. How should the condensate be "got rid off"? Currently just plumbed to the outside.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Should discharge into a foul drain,

(I've removed a contentious bit)

you should keep the drain in the property as long as poss to avoid freezing (done two today) and avoid horizontal runs outside to avoid condensate collecting and freezing it can allso discharge into a surface drain or soakaway Mc alpine have just made one for this job

Sponsored Links
Further information:

Topic: Discharge pipes

Title: Discharges from condensing boilers

Regulation/Byelaw Clause Reference: G19.4

Reference Number: I14

Decision Date: February 2003

Text: The expansion relief valve and the condensate discharge pipes of condensing boilers must be arranged so that their outlets can be observed to have satisfactory air gaps above any tundish which conveys the discharge and so that a discharge from either one can be observed independently of the other.

Even this does not entirely agree with installation instructions I have seen, as the instructions suggest discharge into an external stack pipe but no tundish.

.......it can allso discharge into a surface drain or soakaway .....

COG, for oil boilers the soakaway is supposed to have a filling of limestone chips, is this the same as gas boilers?

The installation instructions I referred to do point out the reezing problems quite strongly, and they include using Ts at bends with caps for rodding on the unused branch.

COG,
" Mc alpine have just made one for this job"
Sorry I'm not clear what you mean, what does it do exactly? Sounds useful whatever it is

Oilman - is that from the water regs? News to me I admit.
c

ChrisR, found it here .
It's right at the bottom, (near the drain I suppose).

Ta. First I've heard of a tundish in a condensate pipe. I'll be copying the text to 1 or 2 other forums which I think you don't visit, unless you have any alter egos?

Chris the Mc alpine soak away is basic , 100mm dia so it will fit into a hole cut into the concrete floor, it has a 22mm compression inlet at the surface and holes drilled into the sides , its about 450mm long and looks like a round cheese grater.
I would say say most governing bodys are being fairly flexible about condensate drains until all the problems are in the open, freezing seems to be the big problem at the moment and installers twinning the prv and condensate together ,when it freezes that could be nasty

Hmmm. thanks, but I now have visions of the thing popped in the floor of the house below the boiler.... surely not, but if it goes outside you have to insulate/protect the 22mm plastic pipe for 1m or so away from the building. :eek: ?

Its for outside use only Chris,such as alongside a garage with no drain within reach,. wher do you ge4t the 1m distance from ?

I have it in my head you can't put a soakaway within 1m of a building. Must have read something somewhere.

ChrisR said:
I have it in my head you can't put a soakaway within 1m of a building. Must have read something somewhere.

you did, see this (towards bottom of page)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back