condensate pipe and PRV outlet into HepV0 valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate some advice please....

A friend has been complaining about drain smells in the kitchen. When I had a look under the kitchen sink, I found that the condensate pipe and the PRV outlet from the boiler terminate above a vertical HepV0 valve with a funnel stuck in the top! The reason for the smell is obvious, as the rubber component inside the HepV0 no longer seals, and the pipework from this valve joins the sink waste pipework after the sink trap.

So firstly, could somebody tell me if this set-up is contravening any regulations, and secondly is the acidic nature of the condensate likely to have caused the HepV0 seal to fail?

Basically, I'm wondering whether I should simply replace the duff HepV0 with a new one. I could alternatively make a running trap from solvent weld pipe and fittings (not quite enough room for an off-the shelf trap), though this would still be connected to a short upstand of pipe with a funnel in the top! However, I'm more concerned about the general arrangement of the pipes as described above and whether it contravenes any regs.

Would be grateful for some advice.

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
PRV should definately not terminate like this, got cowboy written all over it, can you not take them outside and to an open drain/ gulley/ hopper for the condense and take the prv down to approx 4" from the floor (or kick it back to the wall)

Hi Gigz,

I'm not going to do anything with the prv and condensate pipes myself but I would like to give my friend some advice. It's a relatively new (3 years old I think) small block of flats, and this flat is on the first floor. I haven't had an opportunity to have a good look round the outside so I'm not sure what the options are on that score.

What I'd like to be able to do is give my friend a definitive answer as to whether the pipework (prv, condensate, or both) contravenes regulations. If it is contravening regulations, I'd also like to be able to tell him why/in what way. Then he would be better equiped to pursue this with the building services contractor, or whoever.

Could you tell me in what way the pipes are contravening the regs? Just point me to the relevant regs if that's easier/quicker.

Thanks
Matt

simply the prv must discharge to outside, and as above said it should be elbowed and a bit of pipe with a kick in it so it discharges back intowards the wall, the condensate should be either taken outside into a special drain that u buy, it is a cylinder shape with a connection for the condensate pipe at the top and the rest of it is perferated, u dig a hole and place this in it, then backfill. Alternatively you can connect it into the sink waste although the first method is prefered

Sponsored Links
i hear an echo
36_1_11.gif

ATAG have the prv and condensate combines as they leave the boiler.

I have fitted as you post with no problems.

i know, i dont mean that, i mean the final discharge , the tundish is only to provide an air break is it not ?

i understand why u can discharge to waste via tundish but surely out the wall is best method

Is it a tundish or a vertical HepV0 valve with a funnel stuck in the top! ?
I would still have taken it outside. I would'nt like to be standing next to it if it blows :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back