Condensation between windows!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there! Every window in the house has been a victim of condensation. It is in the middle of the glass and we find water on the window sill.

Few pictures for you.

pa9bTAP.jpg

pa9bTAP.jpg

TBEhKXs.jpg

POR2bZc.jpg

It's like that in every window!

Sponsored Links
The double glazing units are shot, they typically last abut 10/15 years. They can be replaced. There is no fix.

Prices on here seem to be approx £50 per window, you can do it yourself, there are numerous threads on it on the forum, though I have never done it myself, though people seem to post that they have trouble finding suppliers who will supply the units only.

Sponsored Links
I have found my local glass/ double-glazing supplier more than willing to make the units up. I have had to replace a couple of mine with a couple more on the cards to do soon.

Measure the full opening and deduct 5mm all round to get the size and make sure you know the thickness of the unit (glass+separator+glass).

Windows differ in the way the units are held in - some are glazed from inside, other from outside, so make sure you understand how yours are done in case you have access issues.

Make sure you get the unit thickness correct as well.
It looks like your windows are externally beaded with a internal push in wedge so will you be confident enough to remove and fit glass units off a ladder and carry them up and down?
If there are that many blown units its probably worth getting someone in.

Go for good quality units:
Warm edge spacers, Planitherm coating, argon filled. And ask them to check the drainage holes are clear when they fit them.

As Gaz and others have said, you will need a company in to measure and get the space bar correct and supply new rubber push-in gaskets, because those are likely to be perished.

The seating gasket will probably be brittle and will also need replacing.

Look at getting a quote for the above as well as complete new windows with modern (with 20mm+ space bar) units etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back