CONDENSATION FROM CONCRETE FLAT ROOF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I HAVE A SLOT EXTENSIONS ATTACHED TO OUR KITCHEN. ITS A CONCRETE ROOF BUT GUESSING THE AGE OF THE BUILDING (1960) IT ISNT INSULATED. THE TOILET PART OF THE EXTENSION IS STARTING TO ATTRACT CONDENSATION AND MOULD ON CEILING, ALL THE OTHER PART OF THE EXTENSION IS OK. IM GUESSING THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE CONCRETE ROOF, IVE HAD THE FLAT CONCRETE ROOF FELTED ON THE OUTSIDE SO I HOPE ITS NOT LEAKING. HOW CAN I STOP THIS CONDENSATION PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Can you get us a pic up? Its hard trying to visualise it, you might be able to cross batten it and fill the gaps with polystyrene,and then put poly-backed plaster board over the top..Have you got good ventilation in the room?

I have a window in the toilet and one exterior air brick near bottom, would putting an air brick near top of wall would help. I have abut 20 cm gap from ceiling to window is this enough gap to put insulation in

That would be plenty. The battens are 1" thick and the poly-backed p/board could be from 22mm up to 2or 3 inches. But 22mm would be sufficient. Make sure the battens are 2x1" tanalised roofing battens...Another air-brick higher up wouldn't do any harm, but I think when you have equalised the ceiling to the same warmth of the room you should be ok, Hope that makes sense? ;) I think its a case of hot air or warm air hitting cold....

I HAVE JUST MOVED SOME STUFF FROM AROUND THE TOILET AND NOW FOUND MOULD AROUND THE TOILET WALL ASWELL, WOT SHOULD I DO

give it a wash down with bleach and dry it off then dont put any more stuff around the toilet.It seems like a classic case of condensation,(black mould on the bottom corner of the walls....)

IF YOU KNOW WHO DO I NEED TO CONTACT TO GET THIS SORTED (TRADESMAN) AND HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST

Sorry but that is as much as I know, hope it's helped you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back