Condensation Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a terrace old house with 9 inch solid walls next to a noisy road. With condensation issues.

Ive put breathing vents at the top of the double glazing windows. Bored a 110mm hole for a vent in the upstairs rear bedroom (as less noise comes through the back with a vent hole). And bored a 110mm hole in the attic door.

Is there anything else I can do building wise that will reduce or stop the water on the windows in the mornings?

I know internal insulation but I can’t afford that. I’m thinking maybe a vent system method of some sort?

tia

chris

Sponsored Links
cmb2020, good evening.

In no particular order??

Extractor fan in the Bathroom?? has it got an "over-run" ?

Extractor fan in kitchen, vented outside, not just pumping warm moist air around the house.

Try not to dry clothes on radiators on inside the house.

If you have a tumble drier is it a condensing type or does it vent into your home?

If you can stretch to it a De-Humidifier? cost about £ 90 for a room size machine that you can move room to room.

Check out loads and loads of other posts on this site, use the "search" box on the top right of these pages.

ken.

Get a dehumidifier and humidity monitor. If you lower the humidity in the daytime it won't run with water at night. You get to understand what's happening by watching meter.
Also secondary glazing inside. There are kits but this also stops the problem and stops sound as a bonus

Adjust your heating patterns.

Fit fans to bathroom and kitchen

Ventilation on it's own is pointless as all that does is let cold moist air in to make condensation later. However they are passive vents available that reduce cold air input and draughts, reduce traffic noise, whilst allowing moist air to vent out

Sponsored Links
Some simple no cost options??

1/. When the Bathroom is used, shower or bath, close the door, finish bathing, get sorted, open the window?? then exit the room closing the door. leave for a period of time, any free water / steam goes out the window not into the house.

2/. Kitchen when cooking and producing a load of Steam, Pasta, Potatoes, what ever causes steam, again keep the door closed to the rest of the house, and guess what?? open the door when finished, but close the door on exiting, the steam goes out of the window.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back