Condensation in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for posting previously with the top issues relating to this, I have read these and unfortunately still have questions.

We recently moved into my parents old house, It has never really suffered with condensation in the loft, until recently. Literally has water dripping down.

We have had a lot of works done on the house, so suspect its something we have done wrong.

Things I have tried so far,

Fitted a vented dryer - Did improve slightly,
Ensure windows are left vented through the day
Lowered heating temp and times.

I also read that old insulation could be an issue, so I replaced this with 270 thick ensuring eaves are not covered(yet to see if it makes any changes)

One other thing I have been reading, is regarding to capping of chimneys

We did have 2 x Chimney breasts capped, and when I asked about vents, Was told simply not needed. Basically had a slab cemented down. I have since read that even un used should be vented top and bottom.

Could the chimney being capped cause condensation in the loft? Could it be that previously all the moist air was sucked up the chimney?

I was also considering buying a Positive Input ventilation system, but I understand the moisture in the loft needs to be resolved first? And would this be a waste of money if I went ahead and fitted air vents inside the house on the chimney breasts?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
go through the list of possible causes, and say what you have done to rule out each.

go through the list of possible causes, and say what you have done to rule out each.
Excessive water vapour in house due to occupants draping wet washing about the house or over radiators. Cure: Stopped doing it, vented dryer fitted
Excessive water vapour in bathroom due to occupants not using an extractor fan until the room is dry (including the towels). Cure: Extractror being used, windows also on vent latch
Excessive leakage into loft due to hole in ceilings, e.g. downlighters, pipes into loft, ill-fitting loft hatch. Cure: This is being rectified today, Downlight covers fitted
Plumbing faults causing tanks in loft to contain hot or warm water, and/or water tanks without tight-fitting lids Cure: No plumbing in loft
Leaking roof or plumbing dripping into loft - Happens on dry days, not external effects
Bathroom extractor fan duct has become disconnected from the fan so the warm damp air from the bathroom is being blown into the loft. - Ducts direct through air brick

Eaves ventilation blocked by loft insulation. Cure: New insulation installed ensuring eaves are clear
Inadequate ventilation since house was built. Cure: Cut soffit vents or hire a core-drill to make hole in gable walls. Or a roofer can fit tile or ridge vents (warning: unskilled roof work may cause leaks) - This is where I am at now, but as mentioned its only just started happening, so suspect recent changes to be the cause.

Sponsored Links
"Excessive leakage into loft due to hole in ceilings, e.g. downlighters, pipes into loft, ill-fitting loft hatch. Cure: This is being rectified today"

come back after it's been done, and tell us what difference it made.

"Excessive water vapour in bathroom due to occupants not using an extractor fan until the room is dry (including the towels). Cure: Extractror being used, windows also on vent latch"

What fan have you got; how and when is it turned on; how long does it continue running after you leave the bathroom.

Closing the windows while the fan is running creates suction that prevents water vapour diffusing into the house.

"Bathroom extractor fan duct has become disconnected from the fan so the warm damp air from the bathroom is being blown into the loft. - Ducts direct through air brick"

show us a photo please showing how the fan duct is sealed into the wall.

Do any rooms have steamy windows in the mornings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back