Condensation Mold or water leak in roof or?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the bedroom ceiling, I must admit the upstairs windows do get full of condensation often and lately. Is this ceiling stain it from a leak through loft? I've had a look with a torch and doesn't look like there's any big holes in roof. Oh yeah no one in the house smokes
bedroom ceiling.jpg

Sponsored Links
you would need to see if the board, from above, is wet or shows staining and then see what's above it, to rule anything out up above.

you would need to see if the board, from above, is wet or shows staining and then see what's above it, to rule anything out up above.

But i don't think there's any water pipes up there.

It's just to rule out if it's getting wet from above, say a drip through a cracked tile or something else, if not then if there's nothing down below, be it condensation or the like, then stain block it and paint over it and forget about it until t appears again, if at all.

Sponsored Links
It's just to rule out if it's getting wet from above, say a drip through a cracked tile or something else, if not then if there's nothing down below, be it condensation or the like, then stain block it and paint over it and forget about it until t appears again, if at all.

Thanks and if that was the case I assume that in heavy sustained rainfall I'd be able to hear or see a drip?

That stain is typical of drip from above- put a sheet of polythene in the loft, next time it rains see if the sheet gets wet. May be a combination of wind and rain causing a very intermittent leak ..

That stain is typical of drip from above- put a sheet of polythene in the loft, next time it rains see if the sheet gets wet. May be a combination of wind and rain causing a very intermittent leak ..

I just had a bout of heavy rain and i shone my torch in the loft , i couldn't see any drip. Is it possible that it is internal mold due to not opening windows when condensation is high and the windows are steamed up?

Anyway got any tips for getting rid of that stain?

Nah, not really, won't do anything for a stain, that'll have permeated all the way through, all you can do is cover it, use a matt and then roughen it and you may be able to emulsion over it

Nah, not really, won't do anything for a stain, that'll have permeated all the way through, all you can do is cover it, use a matt and then roughen it and you may be able to emulsion over it

I suppose i'd have to do the whole ceiling so it all blends in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back