Condensation on Toilet Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon.

We have alot of condensation on our cistern.

The bathroom has an extractor fan in it that is controlled by the humidity and there is a radiator near the toilet.

We alot do open the window alot but the toilet always has alot of condensation on it.

What can we do to reduce or better still, stop this

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
A toilet that is constantly filling can have a lot of condesation on it. Check that it fills correctly.

Good Afternoon.

We have alot of condensation on our cistern.

The bathroom has an extractor fan in it that is controlled by the humidity and there is a radiator near the toilet.

We alot do open the window alot but the toilet always has alot of condensation on it.

What can we do to reduce or better still, stop this

Thanks

You are already doing most of which is practical. It is really the fresh very cold water filling the cistern that is the problem. Having a concealed cistern that is insulated would be one solution but that usually means a new suite. Warming the water before it enters the cistern would be another but as yet I am not aware of a practical way to do this unless you feed it from the hot water system which would be OTT.
Having a thermostatic mixer feed it would be another - Just playing with ideas here you understand!

There have even been cistern insulating kits in the past but not very practical due to the enormously wide range of cistern shapes.

So with your heating, ventilation and a bathroom extractor fan you have pretty well done all you can - unless you use the bathroom to dry out washing, as that type of practice just introduces moisture into the air which you don't want.

Sponsored Links
IMO humidstat extractors are not much good, and you are better off with one that comes on with the light switch and has a run-on timer.

Water enters the Cistern Cold, the outside of the cistern is at room temperature, hence condensation on the outside of the cistern.

The nearer the cistern is to the Cold Water Rising Main the more likely the problem of condensation.

No real answer to the problem other than wipe the condensation off with a cloth or sponge.

the other action is to reduce the amount of water vapour in the bathroom. It will be highest during and after a steamy bath or shower, but will also be raised by damp towels. If wet washing is draped around the home, the water will drift around until either it is ventilated out, or it finds a cold surface to condense on.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Building:Condensation-in-Houses

I do think that its lifestyles as I only see condensation on cisterns very rarely.

Since washing dries so much better and cheaper outside I don't understand why people are so reluctant to put it out.

There is also a wide variation between the amount of damp people produce in a bathroom. I produce very little as I dry myself off with a well squeezed flannel before using a towel.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back