condensation problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I have a condensation issue in one room, getting wet patches at top of wall/coving

Recently had roof and gutter repaired so it is not a leak - also checked above and is dry - so definitely seems to be condensation

If I have window open in room then is okay - but window can't be left open (security) and it has no trickle vents I can open

As I live in bungalow and roof gets air - would fitting a vent in the ceiling help in same way as having windows open does??

Sponsored Links
Condensation is attracted to a cold spot which usually is an outside wall, I don't know if a vent on the ceiling would be a good idea or not, it does sound reasonable to me though. I can advise keeping the door to that room shut when running a bath and cooking etc to minimise the problem maybe get a brick vent put in aswell easy to do that's if it's not a stone wall.

This is very common. During the winter months i run a dehumidifier in my house and this has helped a great deal with this . see the link below for the model I have. It is one of the best things I have done for my house, and not as expensive on electric as one might think.

http://ecoair.org/DD122FW-Simple.html

Sponsored Links
I came across a weird condensation problem a while ago. It was one of those houses which was as hot as a sauna and there were condensation marks which looked like roof leaks at random small sections on the ceilings. It turned out that the loft insulation wasn't laid properly at each problem area and there were gaps. Perhaps worth checking?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

How long ago was the gutter repaired? A wet wall takes a long time to dry out.
yes fair point, gutters only lined a few weeks ago, so really need a good hot summer then see how it is next year

I came across a weird condensation problem a while ago. It was one of those houses which was as hot as a sauna and there were condensation marks which looked like roof leaks at random small sections on the ceilings. It turned out that the loft insulation wasn't laid properly at each problem area and there were gaps. Perhaps worth checking?
good idea - will check that

This is very common. During the winter months i run a dehumidifier in my house and this has helped a great deal with this . see the link below for the model I have. It is one of the best things I have done for my house, and not as expensive on electric as one might think.

http://ecoair.org/DD122FW-Simple.html[/QUOTE]have already got a dehumidifier but haven't found it made much difference so far

Bet it's still leaking. That's what roofs do.

Leaks don't always behave the way you think they will - they often originate elsewhere. Post a picture if you want accurate advice.

Leaks don't always behave the way you think they will - they often originate elsewhere. Post a picture if you want accurate advice.
doesn't how up well on photo (magnolia walls) - tried that earlier - basically wet patches at top of wall near ceiling/coving in corner of room, both external walls

Condensation would be visible on the walls and tends to get spots of mould. I still think a leak is more likely. Often water will run down the tops of the rafters invisible from in the loft and then off the end into the cavity where your problem is. JohnD is an expert and knows tricks to proof condensation.

Condensation would be visible on the walls and tends to get spots of mould. I still think a leak is more likely. Often water will run down the tops of the rafters invisible from in the loft and then off the end into the cavity where your problem is. JohnD is an expert and knows tricks to proof condensation.
it is NOT a leak, I have spent enough time checking to know it is condensation and not a leak - it is wiped regularly, hence no black marks - and only happens during winter months, so unless it is a part time leak, then as I said it is condensation

Well if you know all about it what the fook are you doing on here? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back