condensation problem

Well, if it's not a leak, is the wall insulated, and does the insulation go all the way up.

Also insulated plasterboard will help.

Remove the cold bridging = remove the condensation.

Sponsored Links
Well, if it's not a leak, is the wall insulated, and does the insulation go all the way up.

Also insulated plasterboard will help.

Remove the cold bridging = remove the condensation.
will go in loft later and check - I did wonder if perhaps when cavity wall insulation done years ago it was not done properly or has not gone all the way to the top

If there's a gutter in the area check it's not spilling out the back and down the cavity.

Sponsored Links
If there's a gutter in the area check it's not spilling out the back and down the cavity.
they are concrete "finlock" gutters and these have all just been repaired and fully lined with one piece seamless aluminium, all felt replaced and gutters checked to make sure no leaking behind

could just be still wet/damp and needs a good summer (if we get one!) to dry out fully

If the cavity insulation is wet then it'll take an age to dry out. There are many cases of cavity loose fill causing problems as it stops the air circulation that keeps the cavity dry.

If these are finlock, then it would have helped to have said that in the first post.

These would give an instant thermal bridge which ventilation alone may not be able to deal with, and so probably need lining with insulation on the internal face

They could also be getting wet which increases the condensation risk without the moisture actually migrating across

yes sorry should of mentioned finlock in first post

But the point is that having window open a little seems to solve the problem - but as I said don't have trickle vents, for security can't leave window in that room open so would fitting a ceiling vent so it can get air from the loft work in the same way as having window open?

If you have wooden windows, you can have trickle vents by drilling holes and protecting against the weather.

ventilating moist air into the loft will cause condensation and damp in the loft

A slot vent can be fitted to the top of to a reduced DG unit. And vents can be fitted to plastic frames or the casement

Or is a wall vent an option at high level?

A slot vent can be fitted to the top of to a reduced DG unit. And vents can be fitted to plastic frames or the casement

Or is a wall vent an option at high level?
with the design of the windows there appears to be no space to fit a slot or trickle vent to them unfortunately

Yes I suppose a wall vent could be an option - was just looking at something I could do easily myself, don't think I have tools/ability to do the wall vent, but could do the ceiling

Google for " glazed in ventilator "

211794.img

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back