Condensation

That's no longer an argument for landlords. :rolleyes:

The question should be "What special provision has the landlord provided for drying washing?"

The property had to be able to deal with modern living, regardless.
Ever heard of a tumble dryer

Sponsored Links
bluesea, good evening again.

It this problem manifesting itself right now in the middle of what for us is a heat wave? or is the problem of long standing?

As an aside are the external walls retro-filled with cavity wall Insulation??

Ken

bluesea, good evening again.

It this problem manifesting itself right now in the middle of what for us is a heat wave? or is the problem of long standing?

As an aside are the external walls retro-filled with cavity wall Insulation??

Ken
no it started in winter time, yes walls injected with cavity insulation

Sponsored Links
bluesea,

OK I am going to "bomb" you with information, but in a good way.

Can I suggest you wade your way through what follows, why because in some cases the Cavity Wall Insulation has allowed rain water to penetrate the inner surfaces of the walls in the property??

OK, here goes.

Loads of information, some may assist??

http://www.publiclawtoday.co.uk/hou...-over-poorly-installed-cavity-wall-insulation

www.wallcavityclaims.co.uk/ciga/get-a-copy-of-your-ciga-certificate/

www.cewales.org.uk/.../Post_Installation_Performance_of_Cavity_Wall__External_

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/informationreport_of_bre_on_cavi

http://www.publiclawtoday.co.uk/hou...-over-poorly-installed-cavity-wall-insulation

That's a bad landlord right there.

You're stating that it's s the tenant' s fault and yet you acknowledge that you need to deal with the problem. Obviously nothing to do with the property. :rolleyes:

Looks like a s.11 or s.82 claim coming your way.
is drying wet clothes on radiators what you call modern living :rolleyes:

bluesea,

OK I am going to "bomb" you with information, but in a good way.

Can I suggest you wade your way through what follows, why because in some cases the Cavity Wall Insulation has allowed rain water to penetrate the inner surfaces of the walls in the property??

OK, here goes.

Loads of information, some may assist??

www.cewales.org.uk/.../Post_Installation_Performance_of_Cavity_Wall__External_

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/informationreport_of_bre_on_cavi
I have had a damp proofing contractor have a look and confirm the mould is caused by condesation

They say they cannot afford to run tumble dryer when central heating on as well
Sure someone else asked this- is there space for a washing line? My tumble dryer costs 38p/hour to run, even running 2 loads a day (which families with young children seem to do these days) would only come to £30 per month. May be worth having a chat with your tenants along the lines of 'look, drying clothes on the radiators is causing a lot of condensation. I can install an active air circulation jobbie which will compensate for your clothes drying but it will cost you at least £20 per month every month regardless on the electric. Or you can use the tumble dryer provided (when the weather is rubbish ) or the clothes line provided when the sun is shining. Let me know.....' (This assumes you've provided a tumble dryer and there's space for a clothesline).
Another thought- I've never tried one of those traps for use with normal tumble dryers (that trap the water and let the air through)- they're not dear and the heat from the dryer stays indoors rather than going outside....

Sure someone else asked this- is there space for a washing line? My tumble dryer costs 38p/hour to run, even running 2 loads a day (which families with young children seem to do these days) would only come to £30 per month. May be worth having a chat with your tenants along the lines of 'look, drying clothes on the radiators is causing a lot of condensation. I can install an active air circulation jobbie which will compensate for your clothes drying but it will cost you at least £20 per month every month regardless on the electric. Or you can use the tumble dryer provided (when the weather is rubbish ) or the clothes line provided when the sun is shining. Let me know.....' (This assumes you've provided a tumble dryer and there's space for a clothesline).
Another thought- I've never tried one of those traps for use with normal tumble dryers (that trap the water and let the air through)- they're not dear and the heat from the dryer stays indoors rather than going outside....
there is a garden and a close line which is ok for summer of course, you mean a condensing tumble dryer which holds the water in a little tank which you empty after use, it can be difficult to get the tenant to understand what they are doing is causing the problem they tend to think its the landlords fault

is drying wet clothes on radiators what you call modern living :rolleyes:
Of course it is. What family does not dry their clothes on an airer inside the house?

People have always done it, and always will. The fact that modern houses have radiators and central heating, means that its done more frequently, and potentially in more or different rooms.

If the house that you let can't deal with that, then that's the problem not the people living in it - just doing things that everyone else does ..... aka modern living.

The first sign of a bad landlord is blaming the tenants. Yes there is a duty for any tenant to act in a "tenant-like manner", but that does not negate the landlords responsibilities to deal with inherent problems with a property.

You say that you have insulated the cavity walls as if to proclaim that that is it, you've done your bit and the damp should stop. In fact, you may well have exhasperated the problem. Did you have the issues diagnosed? Did you have a proper expert survey report identifying the issues and recommending a solution? I strongly suspect not. A good landlord would have.

The drying clothes sketch won't be helping but it may not be the only cause. Place I rent out (lived there for 20 years myself) had minor condensation in the back bedroom (coldest room due to 2 outside walls) while I was living there and that was it. Family of 4 live there now and they had problems in the winter with major mould in the utility room and the back bedroom- purely due to the additional vapour generated by 4 people (and they cook more than I ever did). Hopefully utility room is solved now (it wasn't heated- radiator in there now) and back bedroom rad was a bit undersized (so put a bigger one in and spent a day balancing the system) but we'll see come the winter.
There's no stress with the tenants, we had perfectly sensible conversations. They're trying (with my blessing) to get grant aid for EWI (which would help the back and front bedrooms massively)- as the landlord I can't apply, if anything comes of it then we'll take it from there. And I know heat and insulation aren't the total answer but reducing heat loss through the walls will permit better ventilation without an increase in heating costs for the tenants. (Roof already has 250mm insulation in, no room for any more!)

Of course it is. What family does not dry their clothes on an airer inside the house?

People have always done it, and always will. The fact that modern houses have radiators and central heating, means that its done more frequently, and potentially in more or different rooms.

If the house that you let can't deal with that, then that's the problem not the people living in it - just doing things that everyone else does ..... aka modern living.

The first sign of a bad landlord is blaming the tenants. Yes there is a duty for any tenant to act in a "tenant-like manner", but that does not negate the landlords responsibilities to deal with inherent problems with a property.

You say that you have insulated the cavity walls as if to proclaim that that is it, you've done your bit and the damp should stop. In fact, you may well have exhasperated the problem. Did you have the issues diagnosed? Did you have a proper expert survey report identifying the issues and recommending a solution? I strongly suspect not. A good landlord would have.

I would not say it is an inherent problem with the property as there were no mould problems with previous tenants, my point is with drying clothes on radiators is if there is mould in house its like putting fuel on a burning fire

Thanks for your imput guys I am going to get a piv system fitted in loft quoted £590 will let you know how it goes :)

I would guess the only option is to put it in the contract that they must not dry clothes on rads etc. and are responsible for cleaning the house, including cleaning mould off walls, window frames etc.

Suggestion of providing a tumble drier is sensible.

Maybe too late to change contracts now.

if they complain again, maybe time to ask them to clean it up, or say you will need to have the house renovated to get it up to date, which will mean them vacating it for at least 3 months. They might then decide that a tumble drier is not such a bad idea.

We never dry clothes in the house now, having moved into a solid wall 1930s house with a history of mould and rot problems. Everything goes in the tumble drier. Should go on the washing line ... maybe this weekend I can put it up now that the dustiest of the building work is done ...

Trickle vents on all windows? Maybe without the close option ...
Does the house have old wall vents that have been covered up? Mine does. You could uncover them too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back