Condensing Boiler & Thermal Store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

First post, so go easy. Have read a lot of threads on the above subject with interest, thought I'd ask for some advice on my set up.

Currently have a Range Flowmax connected to a Worcester Grecnstar 18ri.
I have the boiler output set to 60deg C with the stat on the Flowmax commissioned to just less than this, so in HW mode the stat is in control of the system.

During CH operation, I am observing a very low return flow temperature to start with, but after about 30 mins when most of the rads are warm, I am seeing return temp of around 54 deg C, with a flow of 60 deg C.

The boiler does not cycle and seems to be on a low setting in this what I'd call steady-state until the room stat turns the CH pump on/off. When the room stat shuts the CH pump off, the store stat then turns the boiler off after a few more mins.

I have read quite a lot about condensing boilers and thermal stores and just am looking for advice if I've got my system set up correctly and efficiently.

The flowmax brochure says run the boiler at max temp, but I figured I would never be condensing. The temp I have at the moment means a return temp <55 degC (just!) all the time and my rads and hot water both are hot enough for my liking.

(Also worth stating I have a room stat (Honeywell Analogue) which controls the CH to 18deg C in my hallway, no TRV on this rad, which equates to about 21deg C in the rest of the house. Most rads have TRVs. The system is controlled by a Horstmann H27XL programmer, which at this time of year runs the CH and HW twice a day. I do not at present run the HW all the time to keep the store topped up). I am measuring temps with pipe thermometers on flow and return at the boiler.

Any ideas? All comments welcome.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back