CONDENSING BOILER

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Wizards,

I have a condensing boiler which provides instant hot water. Why then does it have a time setting for hot water?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
A) are u entirely sure the timer effects the hw and not just your ch? B) is it a seperate programmer or is it on the boiler facia? C) the boiler may have an aption to work with a hw storage vessel in which case the timer is redundant for u.
If its none of the above then Usually a timeclock on a combi only affects the ch, if its effecting both its either wired incorrectly or is there to give a landlord/homeowner the power to choose when ppl may have hw.

If it is a Vaillant Ecotec Plus or similar, it may have a timer that appears it is for HW, but actually will control just the HW pre-heat times.

You will get instant hot water regardless of what this is set at.

and i thought pre-heat on an ecotec was either on or off, ie- by turnin the hw temp knob to full n holdin for 3 secs to activate.
but i could be wrong, i often am :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Depends which timer you have fitted.

The 140 and 360, others may but I haven't fitted them, have 2 channels. One for ch and the other for the HW pre-heat timing.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your repliesd. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Trying to answer the questions - the boiler is a BAXI POTTERTON POWERMAX HE 85 115 150.

The On/Off timers are on the facia and are definitely separate for central heating and hot water, i.e. they operate independently.

The blurb refers to a built in water store which is maintained around a selected temperature during the 'On' periods to ensure a plentiful supply of hot water. this is the bit I don't get. Surely, if the boiler heats water instantly there is no need for anything to be timed (?)

Look forward to your observations.

This is not a combi boiler.

it is a condensing system boiler, with a built in un-vented hot water cylinder of 85 litres capacity. It has its own diverter valve fitted. Hot water takes priority.

The timer is a fairly standard heating and hot water, so set as a normal heating system.

Hi Dave,

I hate to be pedantic when you are trying to help but if the boiler provides instant hot water on demand I still don't quite see why there has to be an on/off timer facility.

Sorry ....

You could also say the a standard boiler and hot water cylinder produces hot water on demand once the HW cylinder has been heated up.

This is what is happening with the HE85.

It is basically a standard boiler & HW cylinder all in one case. The timer on the front is the same as a timer on a standard system.

The hot water on the HE85 is not 'instant'. It is heated by the boiler on the top and is an 85 litre store of hot water, ready for when you turn the hot tap on.

If you chose to turn off the HW on the timer, once the cylinder of hot water was used up, there would be no more. Just the heating would be on.

You are thinking it is a combi of sorts, but it isn't at all.

I can't really think of any other ways of explaining it :confused:

Dave, thanks very much for your patience. I think I've got my head round it now.

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back