Condensing combi boiler opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Baxi Bermuda back boiler that we're having replaced in a couple of months.

There's nothing wrong with it apart from the fact that I suspect it's massively inefficient?

Anyhow, my wife (bless her) wants to spend my money on a new central heating system.

The quote we've had from a recommended installer is between £2700 and £2850 for six radiators of varying sizes and three different boilers.....Vaillant 28Pro, Worcester 28i and GlowWorm 28 beta(?).

Any opinions and recommendations welcome, this is obviously our first venture into the world of condensing combis :)

Sponsored Links
Vaillant are my boiler of choice.

Insist that your system is thoroughly clean before connecting a new boiler to it.

Andy.

All 3 boilers that you have been recommended are good boilers and as already advised when replacing a back boiler your system water will be very poor so proper flushing is essential, I would ask them to install a magnetic filter also this will help protect your new boiler

Sponsored Links
So, to summarise, your wife wants you to spend the thick end of 3 large ones on a new heating system that will in all probability not last as long as your current boiler and will in all probability need more repairs. Also, depending on your circumstances, the fact that the combi is unlikely to successfully feed more than one hot outlet at once should be considered.

Yes, the baxi is inefficient, but given an annual service, will last a long time. The money saved on gas will mean you break even on the cost of the combi at the same time as the combi will need replacement - if you're lucky.

Hmm. Does your wife have any other money saving tips? ;)

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

FWIW, the Baxi we currently have is at least 29 years old so I'm not sure how much longer it will go on?

The quotes I mentioned include a "magniclean" (whatever that is) and the system will be "flushed and inhibited" so I guess it's just choosing one of the three boilers.

yes chuckles the "magnaclean" is a magnetic filter, sounds like you have a decent installer and the prices are very reasonable too, good luck, but your new heating system regardless of which boiler you choose will not out last your old Baxi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back