Confident with large areas to plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a couple of large areas to plaster and although I'd love to be able to do them in one go I just haven't got the confident to achieve a good enough finish.

One is a ceiling and the other is a hallwall/up the stairs!

What is the best way to plaster one area and have a days rest from it and then plaster the rest? Will it be obviours that a ceiling/wall has had to be done in two sections?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fit a plaster stop bead or a thin piece of timber to where you want to stop the plaster. You are only using the thick edge of the stop bead not the meshed edge. When you have finished plastering to the edge of the bead/timber, and you want to continue with the plastering, take the bead off and carry on with the rest of the wall/ceiling. It's not easy for a novice to hide the join between the two seperate areas, but with a little work, it should look ok. I hope you understand what i mean with this info..

Awesome! Thanks for this - great explanation :D

Would you suggest waiting for the plaster to go off full and go hard before removing the stop bead?

And... any tips for how to get the mesh side of the stop bead to attach to the wall whilst plastering up to it?

Thanks

Yes,, in your case, i would wait for the plaster to go right off before removing the bead/batten, if you're planning to carry on with the plastering the next day. To fix it to the wall,, just use 3 or 4 screws,, it's only temporary,, as long as it's fixed flat to the wall. To remove it the following day or whenever,, give it a gentle tap before you take it off, that way, it'll seperate from the plaster you did earlier. Before you carry on with the next area of plaster, wet the edge of the plaster you did earlier, with a brush or a sprayer.
Put the screws in to the nearest side of the bead where it meets the mesh,, it'll fix flatter to the wall if screwed nearer the thick edge.

Sponsored Links
Roughcaster... that's fantastic! Thanks for that! Really appreciate your help!

I've just put a post about fitting plasterboard to a ceiling in the building section - please could you let me have your thoughts on that as I'm not sure how to go about it?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back