Conflicting advice from manufacturer and plumber re. bath installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted a Carron left hand shower bath installed however Carron advise the only place the taps can be located is along the long tiled wall side rim of bath. I chose this particular model because of the wide shower area in the bath.
To me - this seems strange as if there is a leak of problem with pipes below the bath, then the bath would need to be removed. Carron say this location of taps is normal.

The plumber says it would be impossible to get at the taps/pipes in the event of a leak and he normally glues the side of the bath to the wall.

Carron say they would never advise gluing their baths.

I have no idea who is correct. Logic suggests that removing the bath to access taps/pipes in the future would be v. expensive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
At some time in the future, your bath taps will need maintenance......if you can't get to them - well, you get the picture.
Maybe its possible to mount them so the bath can be slid out, maybe access from the room behind, who knows.
As for the fitting, follow the manufacturers instructions......maybe your installer meant silicone rather than adhesive.
John :)

Thank you Burnerman.
I am pretty sure he meant glue, because I mentioned that I had read that the 5mm acrylic baths were prone to movement - he said that he glued them to the wall to ensure there was no possible movement.
If the bath was able to slide out for access to the taps/pipes I assume it would also be prone to movement ?
There is no room behind the wall, it is an external wall.
Many thanks for your reply though - I think I will have to look for another bath where taps/pipes can be accessed from the front panel.

I don't know anyone who fits a bath with consideration for leaks, you ensure there are none before you finish the installation.

Sponsored Links
I don't know anyone who fits a bath with consideration for leaks, you ensure there are none before you finish the installation.
This is what puzzles me. My existing bath has been there for 28 years and no problems except for limescale build up inside the taps which are now seized. The same happened with the sink taps which were easily replaced.
If it makes any difference, the hard water in this area causes problems with limescale.
Regardless, I don't understand why manufacturers would make access to the taps/pipes so difficult.

I still wouldn't glue the thing - but I would make sure its full of water before applying the silicone around the edge......if there is any distortion then it will be catered for.
I don't think that any bath taps are a breeze to work on, but with yours its nigh on impossible. The designers aren't the fitters! :eek:

I still wouldn't glue the thing - but I would make sure its full of water before applying the silicone around the edge......if there is any distortion then it will be catered for.
I don't think that any bath taps are a breeze to work on, but with yours its nigh on impossible. The designers aren't the fitters! :eek:

Thank you for that.

I think that a problem anticipated can be avoided - and removing a bath to fix a problem in a fitted tiled bathroom situation is going to be horribly messy and equally expensive.

I wonder if a floor mounted mixer tap assembly in front of the front panel, half way down near the shower door would look ridiculous ? The style of this shower bath is rectangle but with a larger square section at the shower end. This particular model has a better sized internal shower area - 700 x 725mm, than others I have looked at.

Also, as the bath will be against an exterior wall which does not have cavity wall insulation in that part, if the taps were locating where recommended, could that cause any problems with freezing in the winter ?

Thanks.

Thank you for that.

I think that a problem anticipated can be avoided - and removing a bath to fix a problem in a fitted tiled bathroom situation is going to be horribly messy and equally expensive.

I wonder if a floor mounted mixer tap assembly in front of the front panel, half way down near the shower door would look ridiculous ? The style of this shower bath is rectangle but with a larger square section at the shower end. This particular model has a better sized internal shower area - 700 x 725mm, than others I have looked at.

Also, as the bath will be against an exterior wall which does not have cavity wall insulation in that part, if the taps were locating where recommended, could that cause any problems with freezing in the winter ?

Thanks.

Forgot to mention that it has been suggested by the distributor, that if flexi pipes are fitted to the taps, with the cut-off valves located just behind the front panel - then there should never be a problem.

Is that correct ?

Taps first...I don't really know what flexy pipes have to do with it - apart from reducing the water flow, that is :eek:
If you were to buy good quality taps, such as Grohe or whatever there's a good chance that spares will be available for years to come. So long as the tap is serviceable from the top then there may not be an issue at all. However if you choose a 'designer' tap from the Orient then spares wont be available tomorrow.
This would make replacement taps nigh on impossible to achieve.....that's what I'm trying to say! I have no idea what taps are recommended for this bath but believe me, the simpler the better....these one lever on/off hot/cold may look the business but they are awful to repair. Give me the old compression rubber washer types any day!
Floor mounted taps are de rigeur just now - they may suit.
As for the winter problem and freezing - so long as the heating is on in the house the taps and water will be fine....naturally the pipes should be lagged anyway.
As for the fitting.....I would position the pipe work so that full bore quality (Pegler) isolators could be fitted and accessed. With these, taps can be maintained without fuss, leaving the rest of the house untouched.
I hope this helps....your bath choice need not be a disaster, but once in, its best left be.

Taps first...I don't really know what flexy pipes have to do with it - apart from reducing the water flow, that is :eek:
If you were to buy good quality taps, such as Grohe or whatever there's a good chance that spares will be available for years to come. So long as the tap is serviceable from the top then there may not be an issue at all. However if you choose a 'designer' tap from the Orient then spares wont be available tomorrow.
This would make replacement taps nigh on impossible to achieve.....that's what I'm trying to say! I have no idea what taps are recommended for this bath but believe me, the simpler the better....these one lever on/off hot/cold may look the business but they are awful to repair. Give me the old compression rubber washer types any day!
Floor mounted taps are de rigeur just now - they may suit.
As for the winter problem and freezing - so long as the heating is on in the house the taps and water will be fine....naturally the pipes should be lagged anyway.
As for the fitting.....I would position the pipe work so that full bore quality (Pegler) isolators could be fitted and accessed. With these, taps can be maintained without fuss, leaving the rest of the house untouched.
I hope this helps....your bath choice need not be a disaster, but once in, its best left be.

Thank you very much for all your help. The manufacturer advised against free-standing floor mounted taps due to access to front panel but suggested an overflow/filler unit as a possible option.

Think I will go for the original taps against the outer wall - trust the plumber creates a twenty plus year problem free installation and will definitely take the advice re separate taps with just a mixer spout. I had no idea that getting water into a bath was such a minefield, but it beats buckets.

Again - many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back