Confused about dripping external overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend have just bought a new flat (our first!) and it's second (top) floor. There is a dripping thin white pipe causing puddles on the ground floor patio, and unsurprisingly, they've asked us if we can do something about it.

The pipe is located on the outside wall, about 2-3 feet under where the toilet is in the bathroom. It drips intermittently, sometimes not at all, sometimes a drop every 5 seconds, sometimes it's close to a continuous trickle.

After a lot of googling, I was going to replace the ball cock (and its washer) in the toilet, but after examining the toilet I don't see how this could fix the problem. The ball cock is correctly positioned, and even if the washer's old, I don't understand why a dodgy washer on the inlet pipe to the toilet cistern would result in dripping water on an external white pipe. I've even held down the ball cock to let water go into the toilet overflow, and it doesn't affect the external white pipe, the water just goes straight into the toilet - so is it even serving the toilet at all? What do these mysterious white external overflow pipes normally connect to?! (Really exposing my ignorance here...)

I also have a condenser boiler in the adjacent kitchen, and after bleeding the radiators the pressure went down from 1.6 bar to 1.3 bar (I do know how to raise it again if needed), and I wondered vaguely if that could affect it, but no change (and it's definitely not the flue vent).

The other mystery about the flat is I have *no idea* where the cold water tank is. It's a conversion of an Edwardian terrace into two flats and a shop, and we have access to a loft over the lower level of the flat, but all the old water tanks in there are empty and out of use (which baffled me when I first went up there!). There is also a raised level of the flat (it's split level) with roof space over it, but there's no access hatch for there. Logically, I guess it must be over us somewhere, but surely it can't be permanently sealed!? Anyhow, I don't think the white overflow pipe is connected to the cold water tank, and it's too low down for that.

Yes, I could call a plumber, but since it's not an emergency, I thought I'd find out if it's anything simple and obvious. Any ideas? I mean, for a start, could anyone explain how these little white overflow pipes normally link to the toilet plumbing?

Any help very much appreciated :)

Joe

Sponsored Links
Cheers Kev - that makes sense. Do you know if the dripping is normal, and whether the condensate can be drained internally if necessary?

Could be the toilet overflow. Lift the lid on the tank and see if the water is up to the level of the overflow. You might just need to lower the ballcock.

Sponsored Links
It is illegal to have a condensate pipe just hanging out the wall. Is it an ideal by any chance?

If nothing else, the GSIUR. Appliance must be installed conform M.I. and every one I have ever seen tells you to either connect to drain or terminate in soakaway.

err if it ain't law then how can it be illegal

don't talk balls :rolleyes:

its not illegal

however ignoring a statute can be used to bolster a prosecution

err if it ain't law then how can it be illegal
however ignoring a statute can be used to bolster a prosecution

As you`re over there now, what`s the difference between a statute and those ammendments :?:

I`m taking the 5th. now

Cheers Kev - that makes sense. Do you know if the dripping is normal, and whether the condensate can be drained internally if necessary?

yes and yes ;)

It is illegal to have a condensate pipe just hanging out the wall. Is it an ideal by any chance?

really which law does it contravene :?: :?: :?:
the law of "common bleedin sense" :p :) would you want condense dripping down your wall rotting the mortar and staining the brickwork?
and yes the condensate can be routed into the bath or basin waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back