Confused about Multitools!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a good multitool for home DIY but must to any job say cutting into brick (300W?). I am confused about starlock where some are proprietary, Bosch and Dewalt are proprietary so can I buy any tool and does the adaptor allow easy change between types. I would like one with light and angle adjust with quick change. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i have a dewalt cordless multitool - and its been brilliant - cut bricks, plaster and blocks for channeling, using a special diamond cutter, wood of all sorts and heavy metal piping and gauge
on offer at the moment i saw yesterday for a bare unit - if you want cordless
I use saxtonblades for the tools bits

last week, I channelled out quite a bit of plaster and brick for cabling and also backboxes for 6 double plugs and 2 triple boxes

I want corded mains. I see DeWalt is proprietary for fixing. Does it come with an adaptor and is that an issue? I want to pay around £100.

i have a dewalt cordless multitool - and its been brilliant - cut bricks, plaster and blocks for channeling, using a special diamond cutter, wood of all sorts and heavy metal piping and gauge
on offer at the moment i saw yesterday for a bare unit - if you want cordless
I use saxtonblades for the tools bits

last week, I channelled out quite a bit of plaster and brick for cabling and also backboxes for 6 double plugs and 2 triple boxes

Sponsored Links
toolstation,
but its battery , so NOT corded , mains powered - i'm sure other members with more experiance may help - I'm just a DIYer but found the cordless so useful to get aroubd places and not have to be on an extension leads , used in loft, outside in garden and also indoors

SORRY , I have no idea on the multitools corded which are below £100.... no experiance

saxton blades, screwfix, toolstation do various makes of blade that fit the dewalt , i have tried quite a few, but found saxton blades to be the best value

My wife wanted to get me a multi-tool for Christmas, so this morning we went looking at them and I decided on a Makita, (520?), as I already have a couple of LXT batteries and charging stations. Then, as we were walking to the checkout she asked what was I going to build with my new 'toy.
And when I thought about it, I realised I couldn't think of anything specific I would use it for. Got our own modern bungalow, (5 years old and built to a high standard), so can't see anything needing a multi-tool in the near future. In my garage I've got all manner of tools, panel, tenon, dovetail, hacksaw, corded reciprocating, hand-held circular, bench mounted circular, plunge & track saws etc. various other tools(sets), such as routers, drills, (corded & battery), spanners, screwdrivers, chisels, hammers, mallets, various plumbing tools, hand planes, electric hand planes, planer/thicknesser, sanders, (various types), and all manner of other tools. I simply could not envisage anything I would need a multi-tool for that I couldn't do with any of the tools I already have.
So in the end I went for a Makita battery reciprocating saw, for use down the bottom of the garden. I have the LXT battery pack so save some money. My other recip saw is mains powered so save dragging out my extension leads.

To date, I have only used 5 different multitools (oscillating saws).

The first one that I purchased was the Fein FMM250, from memory, it was about £125 about 12 years ago. It is still going strong. It is lovely to use.

I have since purchased a Festool one. It has a much larger motor.

The other 3 that I have used are a Saxton own branded model (with quick release)- really noisy and only accepts certain blades- the retaining pin cannot be removed- meaning that you need to use blades that "slot" in. A cheap (sub £100) makita- again noisy and lots of vibration- not quick release though (Allen key) and a new cordless Ryobi- utter chite- I was trying to cut through water resistant chipboard flooring and it kept cutting out every 15 seconds.

The newer version of my Fein (with starlock) can be found for £126 at the following

No light, but I have never seen a multitool where you could not change the angle.

BTW, Saxton also sell starlock blades but they are more expensive and the range is more limited. My Festool is Starlock Max, I was able to buy a Fein conversion pin to allow me to use regular (cheaper) blades.

Regarding brick cutting. A diamond tipped blade will cut through red rubbers, but it won't do jack with a Fletton brick. Also, be aware that you may only be able to cut to a depth of 20 to 35mm.

I want a good multitool for home DIY but must to any job say cutting into brick (300W?). I am confused about starlock where some are proprietary, Bosch and Dewalt are proprietary so can I buy any tool and does the adaptor allow easy change between types. I would like one with light and angle adjust with quick change. Any advice appreciated.
Cutting brick is not ideal for multi tool , it’s designed mainly for timber ( though can be used on tile and metal).

I want corded mains.
Good man. That will likely give you a tool for life and no risk of burning your house down. I have a bosch and been meaning to ask about compatibility. I just want to use the cheapest attachment from china.

Yes. Brick is really for angle grinders

Starlock blades are only found on professional tyools at the moment, because the interface is a Bosch/Fein patent and only a few other firms have licensed it (e.g. Festool and Makita), so you won't find it on a £100 tool.

A lot of lower cost blades are made with a cut-out at the rear so that they will fit the DW mukltitools - just look for blades with a horseshoe connector.

Multitools are noisy and vibrate a lot - I've stepped up from a mid-range cordless Makita this year, onta the brushless model. This has a LOT more power than the cheaper models, but it costs a lot and it will only use Starlock blades unless you shell out about £60 and import an adaptor from Oslo Tool in Sweden. At least it has a light, although that gets obstructed by dust, so not always that much use.

OP, you'll get more bangs for your buck with corded, but if you really must go cordless the Milwaukee M12 (12 volt) multitool has garnered a good reputation, being rated as good as many trade 18 volters

Last edited by a moderator:
According to a china seller. Starlock compatibility is the following:

star-lock-compatibility.png

Multitools are noisy and vibrate a lot - I've stepped up from a mid-range cordless Makita this year, onta the brushless model
I’ve got a cheapo Ferrex mains multi tool - which surprisingly has starlock

Ive used it home a number of times, it does the job (just about)

Then I started doing more site carpentry and my mate has the Makita brushless battery multi tool, with a fresh blade it’s amazing how well it cuts -I guess the oscillation and the balance must be well engineered as it can slice through a floorboard like butter

I do work mostly on listed buildings and it’s an essential tool to have

I’ve got a cheapo Ferrex mains multi tool - which surprisingly has starlock
That is surprising

Then I started doing more site carpentry and my mate has the Makita brushless battery multi tool, with a fresh blade it’s amazing how well it cuts -I guess the oscillation and the balance must be well engineered as it can slice through a floorboard like butter
Brilliant piece of kit IMHO - far better than my very first Fein corded tool which I purchased mid-1990s. Part of the speed ything is because it has a 3.6° oscillation angle as opposed to the standard 2° or so that most other (cheaper) tools have

Doubling the teeth on the stroke has a 4-fold improvement, not only greater progress but far, far less likely to get energy dissipated by making the work vibrate especially on smaller pieces

as an aside
i was trying to trim a kettle at the spout inwards and because the blade seemed to be same width as the channel sides it just wouldn't make progress but when i tried to lift the lid i couldnt as it had sonically welded the top shut :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back