1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Multitools and blades...

Discussion in 'Tools and Materials' started by stevewestern, 10 Mar 2013.

1. stevewestern

stevewestern

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OK, I am about to go buy a multitool, and am thinking of getting a corded - but which one - seems from what I have read that the Bosch 190 or even the 250 are fairly well thought of but any owners care to give their opinions of these or others and why you bought them ?

Also, blades - they seem to be the thing that owners complain about, as they wear out so fast - are there any that do last a decent time ?

Thanks for any suggestions !

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Blades tend to wear faster than expected due to the user - wrong blade, pressing too hard, not moving the tool etc.

The Bosch green one does me for the infrequent times I need it, but I use the Bosch blue cordless one more and more just for the convenience

If I was buying one today, a tool-less blade change would be top of my list

4. ironsidebod

ironsidebod

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've used the 190 and it does the job well. The cord does tend to get snarled up and I suspect will fail eventually where it enters the unit (the pro ones have a ball/socket to stop this). But well worth it for occasional use.

I've got a Bosch 300SCE with the tool-less change, it's much easier. It's more powerful than the others and just does the job. Its a chunk more cash than the 250 though.

A couple of pro guys I've seen recently both had the cordless which worked fine for what they were doing (floorboards and chasing Pb). Need a few batteries for reasonable length jobs though.

You pay's yer money and takes yer choice.

I've seen a few people say www.sharkblades.co.uk are good but I've not used any myself yet but will be doing.

5. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I bought the GOP 300, it's the best tool that I have. I can't believe I had worked all these years without one.

I use it for cutting pipework in tight areas and cutting out floor boards and joists. I'm not too concern about the blades as I charge customers a percentage for new blades.

Andy

6. Mark Br

Mark Br

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've got a 110v Fein which is excellent and the 10.8v Bosch. The Bosch is ok for occasional use but not really man enough in most cases.

As for blades do an ebay search for Saxton blades. They are cheap working out to under £2 for some blades and last nearly as long as the manufacturers blades but at a fraction of the price.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. streetlighter

streetlighter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had the 10.8v Bosch but the batterys didnt last very long so i replaced it with a £30 mains powered one from Aldi which is excellent apart from a lot of vibration these tools have certainly pulled me out of the crap a few times.

8. ironsidebod

ironsidebod

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Having now used my GOP300 in anger I can say it's much quieter than the green consumer versions and has hardly any vibration. More than happy with it.

Mark Br: cheers for tip on the blades, probably give them a try at some point.

9. stevewestern

stevewestern

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have still not bought one but from what you wise folks have said it is down to the GOP300 or the Fein, though a purchase may have to wait a while as I have just bought a Festool sander and dust extractor....

Still need a delta sander which is likely to be my main use for a multi tool, and while the Festool one would look good alongside my other bits cost is an issue, along with my inability to win the lottery...

10. Sponsored Links
  11. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you may think the delta sander will will be the most useful but trust me it wont be :D
    for example i forgot to rebate a rail 6x6mm to accept the ply base on the internal edge
    normal solution router and chisel the bit you cant reach
    now you tape the blade at 8mm and plunge to 7mm less chance off damage through hammering

but by far is the ability to cut up to another surface flush that no other tool can do easily if at all
    and what ever set you get get the one with the maximum number off blades as the individual blades will cost you around 30-60% more

as an aside
    i have just bought the the ryobi 18v multitool and its on a par with the10.8v blue bosch i already have as in both osccilate at 20000 3 degrees each side

i havent done a sophisticated trial yet but will later

12. alumni

alumni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just bought some myself. Significant saving on their ebay site compared to their own website.

Must compliment them too.
    Ordered Friday lunchtime. In my hand Saturday morning.

Can't get better than that.

13. vv2806

vv2806

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was looking at them too. Have you tried them on a Bosch multitool?

14. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bosch 300 is an awesome bit of kit, highly recommended. Blades tend to wear out quickly if abused, but look after them and they'll last quite a long time

15. Rsenal

Rsenal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bosch is good but i have an Einhell red range which is great value at about 60.

16. alumni

alumni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, no probs

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. sinbad1000

sinbad1000

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have had the green bosch (pmf)weak and breaks easily, a blue 10.8v bosch handy but weak, great for a sander up a scaffold with a pocket full of bats.
    when my last Bosch battery gave up the ghost i bought a Makita 3000 240v £114 new ebay, with a 3.2deg oscillating angle and a powerful motor, cuts through 18mm MDF like a hot knife through butter,

I use those saxton blades and they are almost as good as branded, mind you you can get 4 of those saxtons for the price of 1 branded, the only one i can't seem to get from them is the round one,