Multitool blade to cut plaster over plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut out a 3m long strip of plasterboard from a ceiling (plasterbard + 3-4 mm of plaster and artex paint on top)

I normally just use a wood plunge blade, but it seems to wear very fast; I think this is due to the plaster as when you've got thorugh the first skin it cuts the plasterboard pretty fast.

I think I would need some kind of diamond coated blade, do they exist for a multitool and would they make my job easier?
The alternative would be to first score the surface with my grinder diamond blade and then finish the cut with the normal multitool blade

Sponsored Links
if you decide to go down the multi-tool route - have a look, or a talk to Saxtonblades - they are very good and reasonably priced.
the advice i have received has been really good
https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/contact
NOTE - I'm a DIY'er, but I have done a lot of projects with the Multitool, not really much with plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
The carbide tipped blades can be incredibly slow though.

I suspect that the artex is harder than the plaster.

Personally I would consider buying lots of cheaper wood/universal cutting blades such as Saxton and swapping them out as they go blunt. I would also recommend tilting the tool to about 15(?) degrees whilst cutting rather than doing consecutive plunge cuts.

It will be a dusty job though. You could use gaffer tape to hold a vacuum hose to the tool whilst working.

When my builder did that to place new pipes he just used a jab saw but the whole ceiling was replastered so the rough cut didn't matter

You will find it easier if doing a long stretch using a circular multi-tool blade.
Bosch actually make one for plasterboard which is semi round.

Jigsaw. If you want to cut down the centre of the joists, like when lifting floorboards then just cut down the blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back