Confused by log burner hearth regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a chimney breast and hearth with a view to install a log burner. How far out should the hearth come out into the room ? I plan to tile with 300mm tiles and had planned one row of tiles in front of the fire on a concrete base but have read varying posts about the hearth should be 250mm or 500mm from the front of the fire. Is there a legal requirement as I don't seem to be able to find it online?

Sponsored Links
you need to get it installed by a hetas engineer, so ask him what he needs
or the other route is via building control informing before you commence stove instillation and complying with part j building regs and pay the relevant fee to inspect and certify

Not strictly true. My hetas guy installed the flue liner. He coming back to fit the stove. However I had the chimney rebuilt and the hearth and surround will all be done by me.

Sponsored Links
he won't certify the installation as such just his work but unless what you have done is to his satisfaction he won't install as an unsuitable set up [not compliant]hence the "ask him" comment(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back