Congestion - ?

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
It's OK Softus, there is no shame in being 'foreign'.
Your definition of "foreign" is almost certainly different to mine, and your pathetic attempt to deduce the details of my background is doomed to failure.

Of couse it is, Softus. You are obviously too ashamed of your ancestry to say.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
Of couse it is, Softus. You are obviously too ashamed of your ancestry to say.
Whether I'm proud of, or ashamed of, or indifferent to, my ancestry, is irrelevant to the discussion of traffic congestion, and your attempt to goad me into saying which of those I feel is as subtle and effective as your proposals for reducing congestion.

It amuses me that you still haven't learned how to stick to the point.

OK Softus. Let's stick to the point. I've given my ideas on the congestion issue - now let's hear yours. Let's hear how YOU would sort out the problems.

Read the OP's first post on the topic - it's a myth.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Read the OP's first post on the topic - it's a myth.

Was this a lie then?

"Congestion has increased out of all proportion to population growth. If you have sufficient intelligence then this will be obvious to you, so no figures are necessary."

Why not make public transport FREE or a token 20p charge.

I'm sure this would transform congestion overnight. :D

Of course it would have to be paid for somehow.................

Bahco said:
Why not make public transport FREE or a token 20p charge.

I'm sure this would transform congestion overnight. :D

Of course it would have to be paid for somehow.................
The problem is, Bahco, that the cost of public transport isn't the only factor when people decide whether or not to use it.

I suggest that convenience is much more important, so making an inconvenient service free wouldn't be enough to make it attractive for enough people.

One question that intrigues me is that when I was a kid in the 60's there were just 3 cars on our street. Now there are 3 cars per house. The roads were quiet enough to play football on whereas today the same streets are busy with traffic.

So my question is: Where do people feel they need to go to today that they didn't feel the need to go to back then? Where is everyone going?

How about being assigned a parking place dependant on the ability to make the trip by public transport or not.
If you cant mark there would be no point taking the car. :confused:

I don't know the answer to this either but why not have flexi hour for workers?

Why does most shops have to open at 9am when they are hardly anyone round down the high street, why not at 9:30 having an early and late shift flexi hours, why does everyone more or less have to go to work at the same time jamming up the road?

Flexi-time causes more problems than it solves.

When everyone started and finished at the same time then four people could share a car. With flexi-time everyone starts and finishes at different times - hence you get one person per car instead of four.

In Australia they use Transit Lanes whereby buses and full cars can use them whereas one person in a car cannot. You used to get people using inflatable 'Lilo Lils' as passengers.

Joe-90 Wrote:
One question that intrigues me is that when I was a kid in the 60's there were just 3 cars on our street. Now there are 3 cars per house. The roads were quiet enough to play football on whereas today the same streets are busy with traffic.

So my question is: Where do people feel they need to go to today that they didn't feel the need to go to back then? Where is everyone going?
The world we live in now isn't as it was then ... From being 8 or so my parents never knew where I was in the summer holidays ... I would be out playing all kinds of sports or building tree houses down the woods or carts to race down the hills and kill pensioners ;) from morning til night with all my friends in relative safety only showing my face when I was hungry or called in by my Dad cos it was getting dark!
Most of the activities nowadays are managed i.e involve the kids being taken somewhere by their parents (often siblings having to be at different places at the same time!) ... And hence the need for transport.
Whilst I would agree that something special has been lost over the years and both the kids, their parents and the environment are suffering as a result, we must accept that this is the way of things now and deal with it as best we can.

Sponsored Links
Back